none
DPM 2010 Hyper-V ILR question RRS feed

• Question

• For testing purposes, I have set up DPM 2010 on a virtual machine running Server 2008 R2 SP1 64bit, on top of a Hyper-V host server.

I am in the process of testing all its functionality and limitations to best identify where and how it will fit into our current environment.

I am currently testing Hyper-V protection. I want to perform a ILR of some files/folders of a virtual machine residing on a protected Hyper-V host.

I have ensured that AUTOMOUNT is enabled. From what I have read, a DPM server running on Server 2008 (R1) OS, a Hyper-V role is required to mount VHDs to perform an ILR. Server 2008 R2 however natively supports VHD mounting.

Does this mean I do no longer need to install the Hyper-V role on the DPM server in such a case (having Server R2)? Does this also apply to DPM loaded onto a non-virtual machine (directly on OS on bare metal)?

I know there is a Hyper-V ILR workaround if the DPM server is a VM – thanks. I am more interested about the Hyper-V role requirement for Server 2008 R1 vs if still required for Server 2008 R2 (since it has native VHD mount support)?

Secondly, I am trying to browse the recovery point for physical files/folders to action an ILR but I am getting the following error:

"DPM cannot browse the contents of the virtual machine on the protected computer (servername). Item level recovery is not supported in the following scenarios.

1. The VHD contains a dynamic disk inside the guest OS.

2. The VHD has no volume.

3. HyperV role is not installed on DPM server.

Please perform a full restore of the virtual machine.

ID: 958

Details: Internal error code: 0x80990A9E"

Item in BOLD/RED/UNDERLINE: The VHD of the VM I intend to action an ILR has a dynamic VHD. Is ILR not supported when using dynamic VHDs? If not, any workaround and will future versions of DPM support ILR on dynamic VHDs?

Many thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Charl

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

the red and bold line you showed just concern the guest OS.
    Dynamic vhds are supported but if your virtual machine OS contains a dynamic (opposed to basic) disk then you won't be able to perform ILR.

In any case, DPM needs Hyper-V role to perform ILR. VHD mount is supported by Windows 2008 R2 but it's not used by DPM.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

the red and bold line you showed just concern the guest OS.
    Dynamic vhds are supported but if your virtual machine OS contains a dynamic (opposed to basic) disk then you won't be able to perform ILR.

In any case, DPM needs Hyper-V role to perform ILR. VHD mount is supported by Windows 2008 R2 but it's not used by DPM.

When you mean the guest OS, you are referring to the OS of protected Hyper-V host that the virtual machine that you want to perform an ILR resides on?

OR

The OS of the virtual machine that you with to perform an ILR on?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:37 AM
  • Hi,

guest OS means the virtual machine OS that you want to perform ILR on.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

guest OS means the virtual machine OS that you want to perform ILR on.

Thank you for clarifying this. One last question, since DPM 2010 does not support dynamic expanding disks for guest OS' for ILRs, will DPM 2012 overcome this? I have read that DPM 2012 will natively support ILR for Hyper-V without the need for Hyper-V role.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:34 AM
  • You are correct.  DPM 2012 will natively support ILR for Hyper-V without needing the Hyper-V role on the DPM server.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:58 PM