GDR3 update - will it prevent carrier updates? RRS feed

• Question

• A quick question on the GDR3 update on a Verizon Lumia 928 - if I install GDR3 through the Developer Preview process will it prevent future updates from Verizon? (i.e. when VZW delivers the update)?

thanks

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:46 AM

Answers

• Upgrading to the GDR3 Developer preview will not prevent you from receiving updates from your OEM (Nokia in your case) or Mobile Operator (Verizon).
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:30 PM

All replies

• Although I can't confirm, a few users have comented on WPCentral that they received the update from their carrier while using the GDR3 Dev preview. So I'm guessing it it doesn't affect carrier updates.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:06 PM
  • Hi J

To the best of my knowledge, if you install the GDR3 update through developer preview program this will void your carrier warranty. Although, that shouldn't prevent future updates from the carrier as the carrier just verifies and rolls out the updates

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:36 PM
  • Upgrading to the GDR3 Developer preview will not prevent you from receiving updates from your OEM (Nokia in your case) or Mobile Operator (Verizon).
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:30 PM
  • I can confirm, I installed GDR3 developer preview on HTC 8x. After couple of weeks I received another update from HTC.
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Thanks so much to everyone for the great feedback and responses.

I upgraded my Lumia 928 to GDR3 last night - upgraded with no issues!

thanks

Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:10 PM
  • I have the Developer account and I have the Preview App from the Microsoft Store.  I'm just EXTREMELY NERVOUS about this.  I would like to know your experience so far with the GDR3 update.  Are you happy you did it?  It is worth doing or should I wait for Verizon to release the update?  Please let me know if you would recommend anyone do this to their Verizon Lumia 928.
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:27 PM
  • rednibkram,

The Update 3 currently being offered to developers is Microsoft's finalized code. The update you receive from Verizon will include the same code from Microsoft being offered at this moment.

You can wait if you want, but all that will get you is what's available today plus any extras from Verizon and Nokia.

Friday, November 22, 2013 4:11 AM
  • To expand on Entegy's post,

An update contains several components, OS updates, OEM updates (BIOS, firmware, drivers) and Mobile Operator updates. The GDR3 developer preview is the same update that will make it into the official release, the difference is it does not have OEM updates to accompany it and your MO has not had a chance to test the OEM/OS changes on their network.

David

Friday, November 22, 2013 8:02 PM