Sharepoint drop-down menus stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• As a whole, we are running WSS 3.0 and Office 2007.  We have installed Office 2010 on a couple of folks to ensure that there would be no issues for the others when we complete the upgrade.  Prudence is golden, especially in this case.  While I cannot say with 100% certainty that it was the Office 2010 install (there was also an IE8 update that same evening on both PC's), both workstations that received the upgrade no longer have functional drop-down menus.  They now have to use the sites links on the quick launch bar in order to navigate deeper into our intranet.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, July 11, 2011 7:35 PM not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, July 11, 2011 7:24 PM

Answers

• I had the same experience about a month ago.  And actually it wasn't just the dropdown navigation, there were some other things that wouldn't work as well.  Even though I had a new install of Office 2010 I still have SharePoint Designer 2007... I ran an office diagonostics scan from it and it cleared up the problem.  Since your users don't have that try running a repair on their office installation. I had even rolled back to an older version of IE first, and that didn't do a thing.  It's the office install.  I'm also on Windows 7

• Proposed as answer by KSDN Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rob W1 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:27 PM

All replies

• Did you try clicking the Compatibility View icon on IE8 to see if the problem still persists?  This icon is located just right to the URL.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Hello KSDN,

Thank you for responding.  That was the first thing I did.  Followed by clearing the browser cache and then verifying that the Sharepoint support was installed in Office 2010.  I also reset the advanced settings in IE8.  I should also probably state that these workstations W7 Pro.  If it were XP I might have been tempted to try re-applying asp.net.

Robert Walla
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:57 PM
  • I had the same experience about a month ago.  And actually it wasn't just the dropdown navigation, there were some other things that wouldn't work as well.  Even though I had a new install of Office 2010 I still have SharePoint Designer 2007... I ran an office diagonostics scan from it and it cleared up the problem.  Since your users don't have that try running a repair on their office installation. I had even rolled back to an older version of IE first, and that didn't do a thing.  It's the office install.  I'm also on Windows 7

• Proposed as answer by KSDN Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rob W1 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the response.  I will give that a try.  The Sharepoint Designer scan makes a lot of sense. Since like you say, they don't have it, I wll give the Office repair a shot.

Much appreciated,

Robert Walla
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Whats the outcome after running Office repair tool?

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:34 AM
  • Just got to do the Office repair on one of the workstations.  That solved the drop-down issue.!!  Thanks to all who responded and especially to Melissa for the fine suggestion!

Robert Walla
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:55 PM