URL LINK ERROR: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable RRS feed

• Question

• In the Outlook app on my MS Surface Pro, starting yesterday afternoon, any time I try to open a link in an email, I get the following error:  Something unexpected went wrong with this URL. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. The application was working fine and then it suddenly wasn't. Work computer - not used for any sketchy sites :)
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:30 PM

All replies

• Did you happen to recently change the default web browser? This hyperlink error commonly occurs when someone changes the default browser from Edge/Internet Explorer to Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.

I would suggest changing your default web browser to the original default(likely Edge/Internet Explorer). If that fixes the problem but you want to continue to have another browser as your default you may need to uninstall and reinstall that browser. 

-Aaron

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

Can't open all links in Outlook? Can these links be opened directly in the browser instead of clicking them in Outlook?

Please refer to the information of Aaron and see if it was helpful. Besides, you can also try changing the default browser to something else, then change it back to what you want.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

Please try the suggestions above and let us know the results.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 1, 2019 8:44 AM