none
Share multiple volumes as a single share? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a situation where I would like to split up our users redirected folder share amongst multiple volumes in order to promote better overall uptime and quicker restores if a volume fails.  This is already being presented by a SAN, so I have redundancy there and am not looking for another SAN or RAID solution.

Basically I would like to split up the various user folders onto different volumes on the same server, but still present all of them with the share "Users":

ServerA:

D:\Users\emily
    D:\Users\frank
    D:\Users\michelle
    E:\Users\aaron
    E:\Users\beverley
    E:\Users\randy
    F:\Users\james
    F:\Users\rachel

I would like to have \\servera\users and underneath that be able to see the folders for emily, frank, michelle, aaron, beverley, randy, james, and rachel.

Is this possible?  I have seen others refer to symlinks or junctions, but they were just suggestions to look into.  Is there a way that is known to work?  What about mounting the volumes as folders?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that DFS could help on this. You can create a Stand-alone namespace \\server\users and create subfolders with user names, link to the folders you provided one by one.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that DFS could help on this. You can create a Stand-alone namespace \\server\users and create subfolders with user names, link to the folders you provided one by one.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:47 AM
  • We had trouble with this implementation.  The biggest problem is on what volume do files and folders get created.  We abandoned attempts to perform this, though you are right, DFS helped us get closest to doing what I asked.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:32 PM