Errors Sharing Calendar in Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an issue with sharing calendars to someone that is in the same Exchange org on Exchange 2013 CU3 when using Outlook 2010. When trying to share I get this error message:

"Error while preparing to send sharing message"

The exchange org that I'm trying to connect to is published from behind a TMG deployment, and effectively everyone is an external user. I've tried doing a wireshark packet capture at the time when I get the error, and from the information I see, it looks like its trying to connect to the right target. At the same time, if I watch the TMG logs as I'm generating this error with a filter to see all IP from the address of my connecting location) I see no attempt to connect to TMG at all.

I've checked in the event log of the work stations I'm using (tried more than one) and I get an event ID 300, which basically just states the same message as above, with P1 value of 301931, P2 value of 14.0.7015.1000, P3 value of 634y and P4 value of 0x80004005.

I've found an article for this exact same issue that applies to Outlook 2007, so I'm wondering if it's basically the same issue, but Microsoft haven't spotted or updated the article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2836889

I've found this article (and more) but none do the trick for me:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_26529686.html

I've also seen one that asks to check whether the DB is corrupt and to check autodiscover, but an exchange connectivity test against my domain comes back all green. I've also tried to make the same check with the same client against an Office 365 mailbox and Outlook 2010, and I do not get the error there (guess it might be because they're using different authentication mechanism). I've tried a few things (patching Office 2010 up to the latest SPs and updates, updating the client with .Net updates, installing .Net 4.5.1( but none work for me.

I've also found that this is not an issue if using Outlook 2013.

Does anyone have ideas on what might be the cause of this?

Thanks

Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:31 PM

All replies

• I've also had a look at Outlook 2010 logging and configured my client as per the instructions at http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2260527

Unfortunately, it's showing me nothing in relation to the sharing error I'm seeing in Outlook (the OLKCalLog file appears empty when viewing Event Viewer). Don't know whether anyone might have any further insight into this approach to resolving the problem?

Friday, October 10, 2014 8:40 AM
  • I am seeing the same issue on a particular client's installation with Outlook 2013 and cannot resolve either.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:01 PM
  • Since posting this I've also connected up Outlook clients (2007/10/13) to Office 365, but none of them have this error when connecting to the online service (why would they!), but then I suppose O365 isn't published from behind TMG.

Very frustrating and I can't find any working solution to this at all.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:24 PM
  • One thing that I'm sometimes seeing when I hit the send request from Outlook 2010 is a line in the TMG log that indicates it's going to http://domainname/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml (where 'domainname' is the real domain name in use). We have a rule for this with a /* path that directs traffic off to another set of servers not related to email at all. I think I'm going to try adding a rule above this one with /autodiscover/* as the only path, and do a deny/redirect to the full autodiscover address. 

Incidentally, if I run a wireshark capture when doing this from an Outlook 2010 client, I see that its trying to hit the HTTP address of my TMG server, but I see no traffic at the TMG server (not from the log view anyway). If I do the same from an Outlook 2013 client, I see wireshark trying to hit the same HTTP listener address, but at TMG I see an EWS lookup. 

I'll update when I've tried the new TMG rule. 

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Did you ever come up with a resolution to this?
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 5:16 PM