Alternate access mappings cannot map server:portnumber to a url RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a server that hosts a couple of SharePoint Intranet websites. The port 80 is mapped to our corporate intranet, intranet.corp.com (IIS 6). This mapped intranet has no Host Header in IIS.  I now need create another Web Application in SharePoint when users type "mytest.corp.com", they are directed to "server:28993". How can I do it?

I used Alternate access mappings to map in the way we want to, but it comes to "mytest.corp.com:28993". Any solution for this issue?

Thanks.

EW
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:59 PM

Answers

• You need to follow below steps

1. Go to your site in IIS and Update Host Header value to mytest.corp.com and update port number 28993 to 80

2. Go To C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc open Host file in notepad and add one entry like below

<Your server IP> mytest.corp.com

3. Goto Central Admin -> Alternate Access Mapping  -> Select your webapplication and update url http://mytest.corp.com

Done

now when you access from the server it will open the page

if your IP is coming from Load Balancer then you dont need to anything if not then

update <Your server IP> mytest.corp.com to client host file in same location as above

Done !!!

Rahul Sharma -------------------------- Coding is all about passion !!!!!!
    • Marked as answer by EW868 Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:17 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:53 PM

All replies

• You need to follow below steps

1. Go to your site in IIS and Update Host Header value to mytest.corp.com and update port number 28993 to 80

2. Go To C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc open Host file in notepad and add one entry like below

<Your server IP> mytest.corp.com

3. Goto Central Admin -> Alternate Access Mapping  -> Select your webapplication and update url http://mytest.corp.com

Done

now when you access from the server it will open the page

if your IP is coming from Load Balancer then you dont need to anything if not then

update <Your server IP> mytest.corp.com to client host file in same location as above

Done !!!

• Marked as answer by EW868 Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:17 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Rahul Sharma,

I appreciate a lot your response!

I have a question before I actually make changes on server. Can port 80 be used for multiple sites' mapping? Right now, the port 80 is used for our intranet (but when someone did the mapping, he did not enter a host header for it), therefore, if I type intranet.corp.com, it goes to the right site.

If I change my new site to port 80, the intranet will have problems. In our system32/drivers/etc/host file, there is not mapping information, but 127.0.0.0   localhost. So, it looks like the intranet mapping is not in host file.

Thank you.

EW
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:23 PM
  • HI EW,

You can host n number of sites on port 80 the only condition is that all sites have different host header. If any site exists with same host header then it will not allow you to set the port number 80.

for example

abc.com 80

bbc.com 80

ccc.com 80

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:42 AM
  • Hi, Rahul,

Our concern is that the port 80 is used for our Intranet without Host Header. Can we add a Host Header without disturbing Intranet?

Please advice!

EW
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 2:21 PM
  • yes you can do that ! without effecting the existing site !!!
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Thanks a lot! I really apreciate your advice.

EW
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:16 PM