I NEED HELP:( RRS feed

• General discussion

• i have a hp touch smart 300 and i bought it from a friend and it has worked perfectly fine up until one day the touch screen has stopped working so i cant acsess any files or libraries from it so now im using a toshiba and i need to get the files off of that computer whats the best way to do that and ASAP if anyone knows im blonde and only 22 dont know to much about these darn computers:/ please help me ???

Monday, July 23, 2012 2:44 AM

All replies

• If you cannot boot it at all, you can use a Puppy Linux CD and copy your files to a memory stick, as follows:

On a working computer, download the latest Puppy Linux ISO file then burn it to a CD, here http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

To run ‘Puppy Linux’, plug in your intended USB backup device and put the Puppy CD in the drive. Restart the computer and boot from it (you may have to change a BIOS setting to boot from an optical drive). Wait a few moments for it to load and copy files to RAM. When the Desktop appears, your drives will appear along the bottom of the screen, e.g. those labelled SDA, SDB etc. are hard disk drives/partitions, etc. Open both the source and destination drives (with a single-click) and drag folders from the HDD to the USB backup and then select Copy. If you’re unfamiliar with Puppy Linux, use single-click for access, not double-click and when you’ve finished with it, click Menu (bottom left) > Shut down > Reboot computer and DO NOT save anything when prompted.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Monday, July 23, 2012 1:16 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 1:16 PM
  • You could also use ubuntu linux.  It is a free download as well.  Copy it to an external device.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:50 AM