Unable to 'Reassign Task' or 'Request Change' in 'Approval - SharePoint 2010' out of the box workflow RRS feed

• Question

• When any user (including a site collection administrator) clicks the 'Reassign Task' button the Task Status field gets updated to 'ReassignTask' but the task remains open (and no new task is created).  A similar outcome occurs when the user clicks the 'Request Change' button, where the task status is updated to 'ChangeRequest'. In both cases no record is added to the hidden workflow history list.

This appears to be a configuration issue as I can only replicate it in my production environment and not my virtual testing environment.  

Any suggestions as to what to look for would be great.

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 6:26 AM

Answers

• I don't know if it is too late, but I may have a solution to this problem.

I had the same problem, only with one slight difference - the forms that were causing me problems had previously been edited in Infopath.  To fix the problem, I had to delete the forms in Sharepoint Designer, and then re-publish the workflow.  This results in new forms being automatically regenerated.  I then edited these forms as per requirements, and then kicked off the workflow again.  From this point onwards the forms behaved as expected (i.e. following the Request a Change path resulted in the old task disappearing and then a new Change Request task being generated in place.

Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by Sjoukje ZaalMVP Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:55 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:22 PM

All replies

• Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:05 AM
  • I looked for error messages in the SharePoint logs but was unable to find anything that looked relevant.  

Additionally, I have discovered the issue is related to another issue I have posted (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010general/thread/b627cf60-9692-4e9f-b7cf-72806e2e68aa):

I have several site collections in my Production SP instance.  In main site collection I can replicate the issue in any subsite (whether it be existing or brand new).  However, I can also get the same workflows to function correctly when they are attached to a list at the root level (i.e. not in a subsite).  

Additionally i can get the same workflows to function as expected in another site collection at both the root level and at the subsite level.  

The problem with this workaround is that I have to migrate the existing document libraries, SPD workflows and permissions across site collections.  Because I don't know why this resolves the issue it also means that the issue could raise itself in the future and I would have to migrate the site again

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:42 PM
  • I´m having the same problem in my production Server, testing on the DEV server, everything works fine.

I tried using the apporval workflow on any library under root, but still having the problem.

do any of you found the solution for this?

Thank you.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:58 AM
  • We're facing the same problem.

Does anybody has found a solution for this problem?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:08 PM
  • We also have this problem.  Did anyone manage to find a solution?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Although I don't have a direct solution for such a general error, I'll suggest you to:

1) Check Tasks list permissions to make sure the workflow can update that list,

2) Check Tasks list advanced properties to make sure the item level permissions are set correctly (especially Create and Edit access),

3) If you had updated any Infopath form created by workflows by Sharepoint Designer, especially button texts this strange behaviour occurs. So do your task Infopath form text updates in two steps: a) Update free texts in tables (titles, descriptions, definitions) and publish the form. b) Update button texts and publish the form again.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:40 AM
  • Thanks for your response. Apologies for not getting back sooner I have been on an extended holiday. All of the permissions look right. i have not edited any of the forms in InfoPath either. This behaviour occurs with every out of the box workflow in one particular site collection - all is fine in other site collections. Any help further help would be much appreciated Thanks
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:40 PM
  • I am having this same issue in my main site collection.  In Office 2010 when you click on Open this Task from any out of the box workflow, you get the following error.  Word cannot open a new form.  The form contains schema validation errors. 

I tried republishing the workflow infopath form and that did not resolve the issue.

Other site collections work fine.

I cannot find anything out there that would resolve this issue.  If anyone has a solution, please post it. 

Monday, October 17, 2011 3:55 PM
  • I don't know if it is too late, but I may have a solution to this problem.

I had the same problem, only with one slight difference - the forms that were causing me problems had previously been edited in Infopath.  To fix the problem, I had to delete the forms in Sharepoint Designer, and then re-publish the workflow.  This results in new forms being automatically regenerated.  I then edited these forms as per requirements, and then kicked off the workflow again.  From this point onwards the forms behaved as expected (i.e. following the Request a Change path resulted in the old task disappearing and then a new Change Request task being generated in place.

Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by Sjoukje ZaalMVP Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:55 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

I am having this exact same problem with my production environment with one additional problem.  When I delete the task form and republish the workflow I get the error "SharePoint Designer encountered an error while generating the task form" so I can't fix the problem just by deleting the task form.  I also get this same error anytime I attempt to publish any other workflow with a "Start Approval Process" action.  Any other ideas?  Should I start a new thread with this problem?  I am in the same boat with no ULS log errors standing out and nothing notable in the event logs.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Hi SPmcps2010,

I feel your pain I have an RSS for this thread in the hope that someone might come up with an answer (Deleting the Form does not fix it for me).  I have however Forest Gumpted my way into a fix.  We took the desision to purchase Nintex Workflow 2010 - which thankfully, but oddly does not produce the error when using the re-allocation function!

I know it's prob not much help but it's all I have..

Regards,

Neil

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:41 AM
  • I encountered the same issues and found the solution in this blog post

Thursday, March 1, 2012 9:04 AM
  • can someone tell me how to implement "Request Change" step in Approval Workflow. I only see "Approve", "Reject", "Re-Assign", cancel button on the task form

Rohit Pasrija

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:56 PM
  • This did not work for me.  The user cannot open the document from the list to Word either and Approve but they CAN open it from the task list and approve.

• Edited by CrjangelFG Monday, October 14, 2013 1:59 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 1:58 PM
  • This solution sadly didn't work for me. The thing I did that originally caused my workflows to 'break' was to edit the Task Status values to include a new Task value "In Operations". I tried backing out the change but the workflows remain broken.  I turned workflow features off an on again and republished but didn't work.  Microsoft support has been working with me for weeks and we still haven't solved.

April Drake Software Release Manager, MCG

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:24 PM