SFB Client Conversation History RRS feed

• Question

• In SFB client, conversation history is saved each time you close the IM chat tab with a person.

If I created & closed a chat 10 times in a day with single person there 10 history saved in conversation.

But I require that all 10 conversation should be saved in one conversation instead of 10.

e.g. as viewed in Whatsapp or Skype clients.

Is there a way to achieve this in outlook or SFB client?

• Edited by F_N_S Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:24 AM
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:02 AM

Answers

• I am looking solution with Skype for business online and the above applies for SFB 2015 server

We are looking into MS Teams as it stores previous conversation history with a person and displays it as expected.

• Edited by F_N_S Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by F_N_S Thursday, December 14, 2017 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hi FNS,

It saves automatically when you close your chat. Only option is to keep the chat open that would not create more conversation in outlook. I also do that mostly closing the chat. I do not use the tabbed conversation maybe that way you will keep the chats longer open.

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:43 AM
  • Hi FNS,

It saves automatically when you close your chat. Only option is to keep the chat open that would not create more conversation in outlook. I also do that mostly closing the chat. I do not use the tabbed conversation maybe that way you will keep the chats longer open.

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Hello Erdem,

Thats a work around to keep the chat open for whole day. Sometimes even keeping the chat tab open does not assure the chat will be saved in same conversation. It happens that when we chat after a long time on the same topic, conversation gets saved in separate conversation history

I need to know is there any setting which allows us to achieve our requirement?

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Hi,

Only cmdlet that is available is set-csconversationhistoryconfiguration,

-MaxContinuedConversationRetry
    Specifies the maximum number of times the Skype for Business Server will search for a previous conversation item from Exchange to create a continued conversation. If the previous conversation is not found in the specified number of attempts, a new conversation is created. Increasing this value will present more continued conversations, but at the cost of decreased performance. This parameter should not be used except in situations where Exchange connections are known to be unreliable. The default value is 3.

See more info:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/set-csconversationhistoryconfiguration?view=skype-ps

Greetings,

Erdem

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:32 AM
  • I am looking solution with Skype for business online and the above applies for SFB 2015 server

We are looking into MS Teams as it stores previous conversation history with a person and displays it as expected.

• Edited by F_N_S Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by F_N_S Thursday, December 14, 2017 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:21 PM
  • Hi,

Yes teams does that. It keeps conversations with the person in chat. The only downside is you cannot delete the chat history only archive it.

Greetings,

Erdem

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:05 PM
  • Thats a work around to keep the chat open for whole day. Sometimes even keeping the chat tab open does not assure the chat will be saved in same conversation. It happens that when we chat after a long time on the same topic, conversation gets saved in separate conversation history

I need to know is there any setting which allows us to achieve our requirement?

Hi F_N_S__,

Based on my research and test, for SFB online, SFB client and outlook client, there is no such option to achieve you goal.

Like Er-D said, you can try to use Microsoft Teams, I will share you a document about Microsoft Teams for your reference

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2016/11/02/introducing-microsoft-teams-the-chat-based-workspace-in-office-365/?eu=true

Hope this reply is helpful to you.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:18 AM