none
could not retrieve server initialization data ( microsoft project 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Please what could be the cause of the above error and what is the solution

the scenario is i have two PWA instance on the same server.while i can connect microsoft project 2010 conveniently to one of them,trying to connect the other one gives the error: could not retrieve server initialization data

someone pls help as i need the solution urgently

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:22 PM

Answers

• I would troubleshoot as below:

In PWA, Server Settings, Manage Users - Ensure the windows NT association with appropriate Project Server Group -(Ex: Project Manager)

On the client computer, Ensure the same the user account logged in the computer

Open Internet Explorer, Open PWA , Trust the website and reduce the security level to low. - In low, Automatic logon with current user name and password will be enabled.

In this case Project professional will be logged in using current user name and password who logged in using the computer.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 2:42 AM

All replies

• Look in your ULS log, event logs and SQL logs for clues.

Is this a new installation?  Has it ever worked before?  Do other users have this problem?

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:36 AM
  • hello Micheal

Thanks for your response.I have been identify where the issue is coming from however i dont know what caused it and the solution

I realised that when a particular user open project profeesional using his own account,the project professional tries to connect to the project server using another users account who does not have access into to the project server,then it throws the error

the issue only applicable to a particular user

Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:02 AM
  • I would troubleshoot as below:

In PWA, Server Settings, Manage Users - Ensure the windows NT association with appropriate Project Server Group -(Ex: Project Manager)

On the client computer, Ensure the same the user account logged in the computer

Open Internet Explorer, Open PWA , Trust the website and reduce the security level to low. - In low, Automatic logon with current user name and password will be enabled.

In this case Project professional will be logged in using current user name and password who logged in using the computer.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 2:42 AM