Windows 7 Beta installation requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a fairly new PC with XP Pro and which has no indicated issues according to the Vista upgrade advisor. I bought Windows Vista ultimate and it refuses to install (either as an upgrade or as a fresh installation on a new additional physical drive). I am unsure where the problem is, however the motherboard and disk controllers are the same as a neighbours and they are running Vista OK. I've downloaded all the latest drivers etc, but the problem persists and in the boot log I only seem to get the details of the last driver loaded and not the one actually causing the crash so finding the offending driver is like finding a needle in a haystack.

I discussed this issue with my local PC shop who like many advisors recommend staying with XP and not moving to Vista. Personally I prefer Vista and already use it on my laptop. The shop's opinion was that I should wait until Windows 7 and upgrade then.

Fine, so here we are at the Windows 7 beta and I have a PC with XP Pro and an incomplete crashing installation of Vista. However, I can't seemingly upgrade to Windows 7 to fix the problem because I don't have Vista installed, catch22?

My question is whether I can install Windows 7 beta over the Vista installation by driving the installation from XP and pointing it at the existing Vista install or whether I can insert the Vista Ultimate disk as part of the Windows 7 upgrade and it can do the necessary validation that way?

I sincerely hope that Windows 7 has better debugging facilities so that it actually dumps the driver names as it begins to load them and when the load is completed to make debugging easier.

Have also asked about the boot issues here to no avail.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 9:57 AM

Answers

• You can install Windows 7 if the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor says your PC can handle Vista.  Windows 7 requirements are on par with that of Vista right now.

As for the Vista part have you asked in the Answers forum?

Answers Social Site

That is dedicated to Windows Vista and maybe they can help you resolve your Vista install issue.

~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    • Proposed as answer by Alex T Jr Thursday, January 8, 2009 7:53 PM
    • Edited by Alex T Jr Friday, January 9, 2009 2:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 9, 2009 4:57 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:57 PM
  • I've actually run into this type of issue with the same type of hardware. Is the Ultimate edition RTM or SP1 media? If it is RTM, I highly recommend obtaining the SP1 install media because numerous chipset/IDE related issues were fixed between RTM and SP1. In all cases I have run into where RTM would not install, SP1 would. This might not be the exact case that you have, but it is worth a try.

Either way, you will need to be at Vista SP1 to be able to upgrade your installed copy to Windows 7.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 2:37 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• You can install Windows 7 if the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor says your PC can handle Vista.  Windows 7 requirements are on par with that of Vista right now.

As for the Vista part have you asked in the Answers forum?

Answers Social Site

That is dedicated to Windows Vista and maybe they can help you resolve your Vista install issue.

~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    • Proposed as answer by Alex T Jr Thursday, January 8, 2009 7:53 PM
    • Edited by Alex T Jr Friday, January 9, 2009 2:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 9, 2009 4:57 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, the reason I posted my note was that I read here:

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/01/07/information-on-downloading-and-installing-windows-7-beta.aspx

The Windows 7 Beta only supports Windows Vista SP1 to Windows 7 upgrades. So if you intend to do an upgrade – be sure it is on a PC running Windows Vista with Service Pack 1. We are not yet announcing anything regarding finalized upgrade paths for Windows 7.

So although this is the only supported route, it is in fact still possible to go straight from XP?

Craig

Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:06 PM
  • i red it as this win7 beta will only upgrade a vista sp1 installation. all other installs need to be clean installs. once win7 goes live, there may be additional upgrade paths that aren't being addressed/discussed yet.

i'm sure someone will be along shortly to set me straight if i'm mistaken.

cheers!
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:00 PM
  • I've certainly performed a side by side installation on an XP machine.  Haven't tried upgrading from XP though.
    Mark Wilson (MVP Virtual Machine) - http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/
    Friday, January 9, 2009 12:25 AM
    Answerer
  • I've actually run into this type of issue with the same type of hardware. Is the Ultimate edition RTM or SP1 media? If it is RTM, I highly recommend obtaining the SP1 install media because numerous chipset/IDE related issues were fixed between RTM and SP1. In all cases I have run into where RTM would not install, SP1 would. This might not be the exact case that you have, but it is worth a try.

Either way, you will need to be at Vista SP1 to be able to upgrade your installed copy to Windows 7.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 2:37 AM
    Answerer
  • It's the original install, not SP1 but I have checked the box to get it to check for updates before commencing the install. Does this not download the SP1 version? How do I get the SP1 version?
    Friday, January 9, 2009 7:41 AM
  • Hi. I have had install issues with other computers that you are having. Try replacing the dvd drive or cable. That should correct your installation issues.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:31 AM
  • siliconglen: I found this on the Vista site -- "If you have problems installing SP1, Microsoft is here to help, free of charge—by e-mail, web chat, or telephone. Microsoft provides free support covering any issue you have with installing SP1, available until March 18, 2009. And, if you upgrade a Windows XP–based PC to Windows Vista with SP1, you get 90 days of free support.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921"

I downloaded and manually installed SP1 on a laptop recently that had not successfully updated using Windows Update. It worked great and solved some other issues. So it looks like you may not be the only one having trouble installing it using Windows Update. I downloaded the standalone version so I would have it for other machines in my building:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

rgibson57
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:54 PM
  • How do you get as far as installing SP1 if the native version on the disk won't boot? Can you download SP1 manually and then install it using XP over the broken Vista installation or can you download SP1 and install it from a bootable SP1 disk?

thanks

Craig

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Hello Mark-wilson,

I hope I am not intruding to much by asking you a question.

I am about to load W7, in a sys that already has 2 partitions. I am currently dual booting Vista and XP.

Looking through the posts, and reading about some troubles others have had,  I would like to reduce the problems I will run into.

Someone mentioned running the W7 setup from inside the XP enviorment. Sounds good to me since some folks are having trouble seeing both partitions when trying to boot. Same problem I had with vista beta.

Would you go through the steps you took to dual boot with 7 and XP?

Thank you for your time.

Brian

• Proposed as answer by Filidor Sunday, February 1, 2009 2:50 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 1:16 AM
  • It may be that you are using a SATA drive for which your Motherboard requires additional RAID drivers if the motherboard is set up in that way.  Try finding a RAID/non-RAID toggle in the BIOS somewhere or use an IDE drive??  Just a thought.

Incidentally as regards minimum specs, I've installed Windows 7 on an old Athlon XP2500 processor on a Via KT880 Chipset motherboard for which Vista drivers are unavailable; with only 1Gb DDR1 333 RAM (although in dual channel fashion) and an old nVidia GF FX5200 Graphics Card and a 120Gb IDE Hitachi Hard Drive.

The PC ran Vista OK and runs WIndows 7 fine using Vista drivers for the graphics card and just what comes in the operating system for everything else.

Obviously things are not as smooth as my more modern set ups, but it shows it can be done on pretty minimum requirements.

Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:06 PM
  • I managed to install Windows 7 Beta no problem on the PC which wouldn't take Windows Vista, so whatever the problem was it seems to be Microsoft and the installation process rather than the PC.

Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:04 PM
  • siliconglen said:

I managed to install Windows 7 Beta no problem on the PC which wouldn't take Windows Vista, so whatever the problem was it seems to be Microsoft and the installation process rather than the PC.

Was this a 'clean' new installation, or an upgrade and if so from what?
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:37 PM
  • birab guy, unlike when installing an older version of Windows on a Vista installation, installing W7 will NOT mess up Vista's Bootloader. This was a big concern for me going in because having to use EasyBCD every time i installed another OS was not fun. After installing W7 for me (right from the desktop with the dvd in) it simply added another boot option to XP and Vista for me, so i had XP, W7, and Vista all on the bootloader, all working fine. Hope this helped.
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Tried the upgrade over XP Business, didn't work.

Then tried a clean installation on a formatted, additional hard drive, didn't work either for the same reasons. Vista nearly completes the install and then on the first boot goes into an endless reboot cycle. Windows 7, no problem at all.
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 2:58 PM
  • It's the original install, not SP1 but I have checked the box to get it to check for updates before commencing the install. Does this not download the SP1 version? How do I get the SP1 version?

Get the Vista SP1 media from a friend or a colleague!

Regarding the upgrade from XP, I started the Win 7 installation straight from Win XP SP3 dual boot (English and Portugueses XP), and it went really smooth... I selected the upgrade, and off it went... then it told me that installation was unsuccessful, and hinted me to have a New Installation... after installation, I had the boot manager with the options "Previous versions of Windows" and "Windows 7". By selecting "Previous versions of Windows" I get back to the two options English XP or Portuguese XP. So you won't need to persé install Vista before getting onto Windows 7.

T-Zero.
    System: E-Max Intel 945GC-M2, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 4Gb Ram, Nvidia 9300 512Mb, LG BD Burner, 2x 500Gb HD, Sony Bravia, Windows 7 Beta 7000 x86 and x64.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:02 PM
  • As I wrote above, this is what I've done, and it works spotless:

Regarding the upgrade from XP, I started the Win 7 installation straight from Win XP SP3 dual boot (English and Portugueses XP), and it went really smooth... I selected the upgrade, and off it went... then it told me that installation was unsuccessful, and hinted me to have a New Installation... after installation, I had the boot manager with the options "Previous versions of Windows" and "Windows 7". By selecting "Previous versions of Windows" I get back to the two options English XP or Portuguese XP. So you won't need to persé install Vista before getting onto Windows 7.

T-Zero.
    System: E-Max Intel 945GC-M2, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 4Gb Ram, Nvidia 9300 512Mb, LG BD Burner, 2x 500Gb HD, Sony Bravia, Windows 7 Beta 7000 x86 and x64.
    • Proposed as answer by Tolerance_Zero Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:10 PM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:10 PM