Windows Desktop Search doesn't find files, I am looking for RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

on a Windows Vista Ultimate x64 system with Service Packe 2 applied, there is a folder "D:\Foo" with many files and subfolders with files.

"D:\Foo" is not indexed by the Windows Desktop Search.

I now want to find all files named "Thumbs.db". I tried the following queries:

• Thumbs.db
    • filename:Thumbs.db
    • Thumbs.db store:file
    • filename:Thumbs.db store:file

My problem is, that WDS just finds five files named "Thumbs.db", but a search with other programs, like TotalCommander for example, shows about >100 files named "Thumbs.db".

So is there no way to find files with WDS in unindexed locations, even if you checked the checkbox to include not indexed and hidden files?

Regards, Thomas
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding this issue, I would like to share this knowledge Base with you:

You cannot find files when you search a Windows Vista-based computer even though the files exist on the computer

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Whissi Friday, July 31, 2009 11:49 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

thank you! This KB article helped me to find the reason.

Thumbs.db files are typical hidden and also marked as system files. After I unchecked the "Hide protected system files" option, WDS was able to find these files.
    Regards, Thomas
    Friday, July 31, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

Thank you for writing back and letting us know the good news.

I am glad to know that the issue has been resolved referring to the knowledge Base. Your efforts are highly appreciated.

In the future, if you experience any issues regarding our products, you are also welcome to post a new thread to our forum. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a great day!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:22 AM