Win7 AMD64 machine on restrictive vplan slows very badly over time RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workstation on a restrictive VPLAN which auto logs into a non administrator account in order to give anyone with access to the room access to a locally served web application.  Over the course of a few weeks, I have noticed that the operating system has slowed to the point that it is very difficult to use. 

It seems like it is related to something to do with the VPLAN it is on, and it's restrictive firewall.  At first I found that logging in as a local admin and restarting would clear it up for a day or two.  Later I attached the machine to a less restrictive network, and after a few minutes of high hard drive and network activity, it is back to full speed.  I put the machine back on the restrictive VPLAN, and a couple weeks later it crawls again.  Any ideas?  Is some service being blocked by my firewall and freaking out the system?

Monday, December 15, 2014 7:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Shapter,

"Later I attached the machine to a less restrictive network, and after a few minutes of high hard drive and network activity, it is back to full speed.  I put the machine back on the restrictive VPLAN, and a couple weeks later it crawls again."

Considering the machine will run well for a couple of weeks after returning  the firewall,we cannot confirm that it is a firewall issue.Since this issue will occur after a couple weeks ,please post back if there is something to update ?

Meanwhile ,ensure you have got the latest update of the system,update the network adapter.The Symantec Endpoint Protection should be updated,too.

Best regards

Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support Team.

Just to confirm Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is not causing any issue, disable SEP service and verify the performance.

To disable SEP service, go to

Start --> Run --> (Type) smc -stop , This command will stop SEP service.

Start --> Run --> (Type) smc -start , This command will start SEP service.

Best Regards

Chetan
    • Edited by Chetan Savade Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, January 8, 2015 2:18 AM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Shapter,

“Is some service being blocked by my firewall and freaking out the system” If it is possible ,try to turn off the firewall temporarily to have a check ?

“I have noticed that the operating system has slowed to the point that it is very difficult to use. ” Have you tried to open the task manager to have a look at which process resulting in this issue ?

Considering this issue is related to the low system performance, I recommend you to use process explorer to have a deep analysis of this issue when the operating system is in low performance.

Process Explorer v16.04

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Best regards

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:42 AM
  • I have removed the firewall as I described in my original question, and the computer, after some furious activity, was better.

The task manager does not indicate any exceptional activity.

I should mention that the computer has only two things installed, Windows 7 Enterprise and Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:03 PM
  • Reading more carefully. . .

Process Explorer is interesting, thanks for the tip.  I will post more when I have tried that.  Yesterday I opened the firewall and let it correct it self, so if the issue returns in a couple weeks I will have a chance to try the Process Explorer.

Thanks Again.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 4:36 PM
  • Hi Shapter,

"Later I attached the machine to a less restrictive network, and after a few minutes of high hard drive and network activity, it is back to full speed.  I put the machine back on the restrictive VPLAN, and a couple weeks later it crawls again."

Considering the machine will run well for a couple of weeks after returning  the firewall,we cannot confirm that it is a firewall issue.Since this issue will occur after a couple weeks ,please post back if there is something to update ?

Meanwhile ,ensure you have got the latest update of the system,update the network adapter.The Symantec Endpoint Protection should be updated,too.

Best regards

Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support Team.

Just to confirm Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is not causing any issue, disable SEP service and verify the performance.

To disable SEP service, go to

Start --> Run --> (Type) smc -stop , This command will stop SEP service.

Start --> Run --> (Type) smc -start , This command will start SEP service.

Best Regards

Chetan
    • Edited by Chetan Savade Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, January 8, 2015 2:18 AM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:01 PM