Windows that extend past the edge of the desktop automatically get pulled back in RRS feed

• Question

• IBM ThinkPad W500 1920x1200 display. Windows 7 Ultimate X64. The display is running at its native resolution 1920x1200. I'm working only with the built-in monitor. This is not an Aero Snap issue, nor is it a virtual desktop phenomenon. It's apparently a feature, not a bug. I've done Windows 7 installs on multiple other machines (including the same model of ThinkPad) but I've never seen this on any of the others.

If I have a window that extends beyond the edge of the Windows desktop (something that's been normal and legal since the beginning of time (although it is  a bit difficult to get a window to extend much beyond the top)), and then I have the mouse pointer inside that window and I bring the mouse pointer up to the edge of the desktop where the Window extends beyond that edge), the Window starts moving inward. For example, I open up a window and move it to the left so that the left half of the window is off the screen to the left side of the Windows desktop. Now I put my mouse pointer in that window and focus on it, and then move the mouse pointer to the left side of the screen. As I continue pushing the mouse pointer to the left, the window moves right until it is finally all back on the desktop.

Does anyone know what this phenomenon is called and how to turn it on and off?

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 5:13 PM

Answers

• What you're seeing is a Lenovo / ThinkPad feature called "Auto Scroll" in the "On Screen Display" settings. You can find it under the Advanced Settings on Display -> Screen Resolution.

Hopefully I can put a thumbnail image link in this post. If so, see below. :)

• Proposed as answer by Chris_UVic Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:34 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean Aero Snap? Check it at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/snap.aspx .

If I misunderstand it, could you please clarify it.

You may upload the Screenshot to your Skydrive and post the link here. This way can let me know the issue better.

Please refer the following link to upload the Screenshot to Skydrive.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:32 AM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean Aero Snap? Check it at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/snap.aspx .

If I misunderstand it, could you please clarify it.

You may upload the Screenshot to your Skydrive and post the link here. This way can let me know the issue better.

Please refer the following link to upload the Screenshot to Skydrive.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:32 AM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean that it is a gradual slide back on to the screen? Or are you referring to the Aero Snap feature, where it will snap to the side of the screen?

Regards,

Luke

Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:07 AM
  • What you're seeing is a Lenovo / ThinkPad feature called "Auto Scroll" in the "On Screen Display" settings. You can find it under the Advanced Settings on Display -> Screen Resolution.

Hopefully I can put a thumbnail image link in this post. If so, see below. :)

• Proposed as answer by Chris_UVic Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:34 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Thank you Chris!  You have saved me much headache!
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Does anyone know if this nice feature can be ported to a non-Lenovo machine??

thx.

EyalHam

Friday, August 3, 2012 8:20 AM
  • > Does anyone know if this nice feature can be ported to a non-Lenovo machine??

Hi, EyalHam, I dont know exactly what "Auto Scroll" does, but maybe this tool can help.

Infinite Screen --> http://ynea.futureware.at

Press Ctrl+(Move mouse to screen edges) or

Ctrl+Shift+(Move mouse) and 4 other modes (keyboard or mouse)

This tool extends your whole desktop to a scrolling system.

(You can delete the Ctrl key but then it scrolls everytime)

Read the description on the page ..... 

Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:13 AM