none
DPM 2012 Supports Dell TL2000 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Im new to DPM i just installed it by reading the technet articles.

We have some issues with DPM 2012 im using Dell Tape Library TL2000 i have deployed DPM 2012 Roll update 3 

I just need to know DPM 2012 supports TL2000 how to start the backup on tape 

Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to have proper driver installed. Look in Device manager and if the meduim changer says "unknown medium changer" then you need to get drivers.

I found these TL2000 drivers dated 10-31-2011 A096.2.1.5 on Dell web site:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&l=en&s=biz&cs=555&DriverId=R318494

However, historically you need to add this registry key to DPM Server when using IBM TS 35xx or Dell LT2000 libraries to address cleaner issues which may occur down the road.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
       RSMCompatMode:REG_DWORD:0x8

Note The RSMCompatMode registry value is used to specify multiple flags for DPM. The following are the flags that are set by this registry value:

• 1 = RSM_COMPAT_INIT_ELEMENT_STATUS
    • 4 = RSM_COMPAT_IGNORE_TAPE_INVENTORY_RESULT
    • 8 = RSM_COMPAT_CLEANER_EXCEPTION

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Hello Mike

I tried installing this drivers and also added the registry still i cannot see my tape slots in DPM 

Sunday, November 4, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

Device manager still cannot see the medium changer, until you fix that, DPM will not see the library.

Once the medium change is seen in device manager, then it cannot show as unknown medium changer or dpm still will not recognize it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:11 PM
  • Hello Mike

where i can find the drivers for my Dell SAS HBA Drivers im trying to search but still i cannot get it.

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

Afraid not, you will need to contact Dell to provide drivers for the SAS HBA.

Monday, November 5, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Im getting this error and also i checked with my dell vendor for drivers they gave me the updated one which i have installed any solution for it would be really appreciated 

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Hi Mike 

It worked for me now i can see the slots but labels are showing unrecognized 

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

It appears the tapes may contain data written by another application, after the detailed inventory completes, try to mark them free.  If that does not work, then erase the tapes.

When a user erases a tape, by default, DPM will do a long erase on that tape.  DPM 2010 has introduced the ability to do a short erase now.  Simply navigate to the following registry location and add the DWORD key with the default vale:

Short Erase
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634195.aspx

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
    REG_DWORD:UseShortErase:0x0

Setting to 0(zero) will cause DPM to use a short erase.  In order to set it back to using the long erase, simply delete the key.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:13 PM
  • When installing the TL2000 you need to ensure that you use the correct 2012 drivers fro Dell.

The driver download link can be found here: http://downloads-us.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/powervault-tl2000html 

You need to run the installer from the 2012 folder that is unzipped and ensure that the Tape Bus and the Changer Bus enumerator drivers are installed under the system catagory in device manager. These are non-plug and play drivers. If they are not installed you will need to add legacy hardware and point to the 2012 driver folder that is unzipped and then restart.

After restart DPM should detect and allow you to set up your TL2000 for backups.

• Edited by Rhys D Monday, January 7, 2013 7:15 PM additional information
    • Proposed as answer by Rhys D Monday, January 7, 2013 7:15 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 7:14 PM
  • My LT2000 still didn't come up as working under device manager. I then discovered that I needed to do an "Add Legacy Hardware", search for the driver directory I had just extracted and add "Changer Bus Enumerator" and "Tape Bus Enumerator". 

• Proposed as answer by Doc S Brown Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:52 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Sam,

I run a DELL TL2000 (single LTO5 drive) for my DPM 2012 SP1 with success.

Here is a quick ste by step guide i've found.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/DELL-Tape-Library-TL2000-f5e7bd8f

Since then, new drivers and firmware have been released by DELL.

AS of today you can grab:

DELL TL 2000 library (or IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library)

What

Old version

Updated to

Firmware

B.20

B.60

Windows driver

6.2.1.5 (IBM)

6.2.3.3 (IBM) but from DELL WebSite

DELL TL 2000 LTO5 drive (or IMB ULTRIUM 5 HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE)

What

Old version

Updated to

Firmware

BBNB

C7RD

Windows driver

6.1.7600.16385 (Microsoft)

6.2.3.3 (IBM) but from DELL WebSite

Pascal.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

You need to have proper driver installed. Look in Device manager and if the meduim changer says "unknown medium changer" then you need to get drivers.

I found these TL2000 drivers dated 10-31-2011 A096.2.1.5 on Dell web site:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&l=en&s=biz&cs=555&DriverId=R318494

However, historically you need to add this registry key to DPM Server when using IBM TS 35xx or Dell LT2000 libraries to address cleaner issues which may occur down the road.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
       RSMCompatMode:REG_DWORD:0x8

Note The RSMCompatMode registry value is used to specify multiple flags for DPM. The following are the flags that are set by this registry value:

• 1 = RSM_COMPAT_INIT_ELEMENT_STATUS
    • 4 = RSM_COMPAT_IGNORE_TAPE_INVENTORY_RESULT
    • 8 = RSM_COMPAT_CLEANER_EXCEPTION

Hi Mike,

Can you please elaborate on what happens with the cleaning problem?  We have had auto-cleaning issues several times and I would like to track down more info.

(DPM 2010/Dell TL2000)

-T

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Regarding the RSM_COMPAT_CLEANER_EXCEPTION - this is documented in the following KB.

978901 Fast inventory fails when you try to use an IBM 35XX Series mainframe with Data Protection Manager 2007
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978901/EN-US

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Regarding the RSM_COMPAT_CLEANER_EXCEPTION - this is documented in the following KB.

978901 Fast inventory fails when you try to use an IBM 35XX Series mainframe with Data Protection Manager 2007
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978901/EN-US

Thank you,  that explains a problem I have been having with Backup failures-  there was a cleaning going on.   I know the cleaning weren't failing, but DPM throws an error saying the job failed because "Drive Requires Cleaning" and the "Library not functioning properly".  I know the cleanings are happening because the Library shows cleaning tape runs.

Calls with Dell and in-depth log dump show the library is acting fine and isn't throwing any errors on its own.

-T

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:22 PM