none
Windows Media Player 12 - Cannot Remove Songs From Library

General discussion

• Hi all - Windows Media Player 12 - Windows 7 x64

So I have decided to delete several un-listened-to songs from my library on WMP 12, and ended up doing so in the Music folder, because when I right-click on the song in WMP 12 and select Delete, nothing happens. Literally NOTHING - no lag, freeze or crash - it just ignores the fact that I even clicked delete. The songs that I deleted from the Music folder have not been updated, that is, they aren't gone from WMP 12, and I have tried to delete songs that ARE in my Music folder from WMP 12, but to no avail. I can still play songs that are in my Music folder directly from WMP 12. Any suggestions!?
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:37 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, such 'ghost' songs are a common problem in WMP 12, and you can only get rid of them by resetting the media library. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
    - Go to Start, type services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service . If its status is Started , double-click the service and click Stop .
    - Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
    - In this folder, rename the Media Player folder to something like Media Player old . If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
    - Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:30 PM
  • tim yesterday i did this and today when i got home from work there was no music in my library at all..when i went to bed last night everything was working fine...WMP12 sucks so far! any help would be great!
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:35 PM
  • visualmartyr, in which folder are your music files located? In WMP's library, click Organize , and select Manage libraries - Music . Make sure that that folder is listed there as a library location, and add it manually if necessary.
    Tim De Baets
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 3:40 PM
  • I tried Tim's method but no file existed called Media Player old. Looking through the files in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player\ I found a very large file named "CurrentDatabase####". I cut this to my desktop and all files were removed and my database is refreshing. Thought I would add this in case someone else had the same issue. 
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:31 AM
  • nikilai76, just to be clear, you're supposed to rename the Media Player folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft to Media Player old .
    Tim De Baets
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:33 PM
  • This has finally solved the "non delete" issue for me me...after many suggestions.  I am a little concerned of the comments posted after, but it is now loading the new locations and seems fine...THANKS!

Monday, January 31, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Dude...read the post!  i followed the instructions and renamed (delete if you will) and then added the folders in the usual library way...yes WMP 12 should just allow you to delete files when you want, but "with great power come great f@#k ups" so lets just allow the, to make our programs better, read the resolves and move forward..
    Monday, January 31, 2011 7:04 PM
  • hi all , thanks tim this works re named the media player folder and got rid of those stupid files. should i start Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service  afterwards? Also window media centre sometimes freezes when i click to go into the libary more so since ive reorganized my music folders. ahhh should have just left them all where they were . does any one else have this problem? im just using win amp now, it never seems to crash.
    Monday, March 19, 2012 9:42 AM
  • oh Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service  turns on after anyways . still dosent solve why media centre keeps crashing
    Monday, March 19, 2012 10:01 AM
  • clintox: indeed, the WMP Network Sharing Service will automatically get restarted. Regarding your Media Center issue, I suggest that you create a new question in this forum and include as much relevant details as possible.

Tim De Baets

Monday, March 19, 2012 8:17 PM
  • So, similar issue, with the root problem being (and this has happened to me a few times now) that my music libary simply stops updating anything newly added.  Usually I can remove the monitored folder, the library cleans itself, and then I can re-add the folder and rebuild the library.

However, this time, my library wouldn't clean itself and I was faced with the issue on this original post (can't delete from the library, no errors, simply does nothing)

I readded my music folder again to the library, and while my new music now shows up, the existing albums all wound up with duplicate songs.

While I'm sure that I can probably correct all this with the steps provided by Tim Da Baets when I get home, my biggest question is why this hasn't been resolved after 2+ years now!?!?!?!?!

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:13 PM
  • I do the first two steps, but in Services, I cant find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service it is just not there :/
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 3:58 AM
  • AikaTEX03: are you running Windows 7? If you can't find the service then you can probably just proceed to the next step.

Tim De Baets

Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Thank you!!! This solution worked perfectly!!!

Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:04 AM
  • THANK YOU IT WORK

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 2:50 PM