none
Project resources with different working weeks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I have a project with resources in different locations (Australia and the Middle East) who have different work weeks. 

Australia (Monday-Friday)

Middle East (Sunday-Thursday)

Basically, common work week is Monday-Thursday, while the Australian resources do not work Sat/Sun, and the Middle East resources do not work Fri/Sat. 

I need to be able to schedule work for both resources, but I can't find a way to allocate work weeks in this way as it appears that work weeks is a global setting. Is there a way around this with holidays that i'm not seeing? Anyone have a solution to this, I can't be the first person to run a project in this manner. 

Help very greatly appreciated, 

Ryan

Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:29 AM

All replies

• How about using Resource Calendar? Quick Demo: How calendars work in Project Professional: http://blogs.technet.com/b/brookswhite/archive/2011/12/08/how-calendars-work-in-project-professional.aspx

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:51 AM
  • Definitely you are not restricted to a global calendar. You start with a project calendar, and then you can have an individual calendar for each task and an individual calendar for each resource. Where in Australia are you? Perth?
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:00 AM
  • You can also make a schedule for Monday - Sunday except Sunday afternoon. Is it possible ?
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:10 AM
  • RyanBaker --

This is a really excellent question, by the way, because it gets at the heart of how Microsoft Project really works.  Remember that Microsoft Project is a scheduling tool.  You give it the correctly scheduling information and it will figure out the correct schedule for every task in the project.

To resolve your situation, begin by creating two new Base Calendars:  an Australian calendar and a Middle East calendar.  On the Australian calendar, set the work week to Monday - Friday.  For the Middle East Calendar, set the work week to Sunday - Thursday.  On your Standard calendar, leave the schedule set to Monday - Friday.

Next, assign the correct Base Calendar to each resource in the project.  For resources from Australia, set the Australia calendar as their Base Calendar.  For resources in the Middle East, set the Middle East calendar as their Base Calendar.  This will ensure that Microsoft Project schedules tasks correct when you assign resources to them.

Leave the Standard calendar set as the Project and Nonworking Time calendars in the project.  Even though it will only show work from Monday through Friday, it will not matter.  When you begin assigning resources to tasks, Microsoft Project will reschedule the task, if needed, using the schedule shown as the Base Calendar for each resource.  For example, you have a 5-day task with no resources currently scheduled to start on a Monday and finish on Friday.  If you assign an Australian resource to this task, the schedule will not change.  But if you assign a Middle East resource to the task, the schedule of the task will change automatically to reflect the working schedule of this resource.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:16 PM