Storing page settings in a template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In previous versions of word we were able to store printer settings in templates - things like the preferred printer and duplexing options. In Word 2010 this doesn't appear to work.

If I create a template, set up the page settings for the correct trays and for duplexing, save the template and close Word, the next time I open either the template or create a document based on that template, all printer settings have been "lost" and replaced by default settings.

Does anyone know how I can store these settings in the template?

Many thanks.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:49 PM

Answers

• The Printer Selection is not saved in a Word document or Template.   You would need to use code in an AutoNew macro in the template to select a particular printer to be used for documents created from that template. Other wise, the printer that is set as the default in Windows will be the one that is used.

If you want to change the printer in Word 2010 without sending a document to the printer, using the code I gave you will display the print dialog that you used in Word 2002, OR, you can add the "Print Setup" button to the Quick Access Toolbar.  It can be selected from the All Commands group.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"SafariV8" wrote in message news:ecd08aa9-97bb-422f-9a77-f4d8b597e1a1@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi,

I think I need to go back to basics here.

I don't want the user to be prompted for anything. I don't want any boxes to be popped up. What I am trying to get is the functionality we used to have in older versions of Word.

If you were to take any older version of word, and I've just tested this on 2002, you could go to File --> Print, select a printer and choose Close for that dialog. You could then save the template and it would save your printer selection.

Is this no longer possible in Word 2010?

If it's not we will need to address our entire printing regime as we need to find a non-interactive solution which will be useful across all of our client sites.

Many thanks

Brendon

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by SafariV8 Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:24 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot save the printer or its properties with the template. 

You can select some printing options in Page Setup, and these will be saved with the template,

but settings made in the Print dialog or printer Properties cannot be saved with a specific file.

Word always starts with the default printer using its default settings. You can change printers or Properties settings for the duration of the Word session,

and you can change some print settings for all documents in the Print Options, but none of these (except "Print data only for forms" in Print Options) are saved with a document/template.

Sincerely,

Harry 

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, December 10, 2010 3:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SafariV8 Monday, December 20, 2010 2:57 AM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 3:08 AM
  • Thanks for that.

So, what is the suggested method of working with printers from templates?

Our process is to provide data to a word template which merges to a new document, prints and then saves and closes the document with a minimum of interaction from the user.

This process needs to accommodate printer letterhead settings so that the document can be single sided to the letterhead tray and then duplexed for the remainder of the document to a plain paper tray.

Any assistance on how this could be achieved would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks,

Brendon

Monday, December 20, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Hi Brendon,

Assuming you're driving the process with vba, you could simply add some code to your existing routine to capture the current printer, switch to your preferred printer, print the document, then restore the original printer after printing. Provided your 'template' is properly configured as to which trays & duplexing options should be used, all should be well.

The code would look something like:

Dim strPtr As String
    strPtr = ActivePrinter
    ActivePrinter = "HP LaserJet 4 local on LPT1:"
    ActiveDocument.PrintOut
    ActivePrinter = strPtr

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SafariV8 Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:40 PM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 5:12 AM
  • Thanks for that Paul, and if we were dealing with a single site and fixed printers that would probably work quite well.

Unfortunately we have around 20 different client organisations all with their own printer architectures. Is there a way to do the same thing without having to specify the printer? Even if we were able to specify things like the first page is letter head and single sided while the following pages are sourced from a different tray and duplexed.

Am I deluding myself that this is possible?

Many thanks

Brendon

Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Hi Brendon,

Simply configuring the document's page layout via Page Setup|Page Layout|Paper, with a suitable active printer should enable you to choose the appropriate trays. AFAIK, you've never been able to set & store duplexing options that way, however.

In principle, though, you can apply the settings at print time by adding PRINT fields to the document (usually in the page header) to send escape codes to the printer. For example:
    {PRINT 27"&11S"} = duplex, long-edge binding
    {PRINT 27"&11H"} = print from upper tray
    {PRINT 27"&14H"} = print from lower or mp tray

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above examples are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Friday, December 24, 2010 2:29 AM
  • Thanks Paul,

I guess most of my frustration with this is that it used to work. Templates created in Word 2003 and earlier allowed us to go into the print dialog, select a printer and then close the dialog with a close button rather than using OK to send the job to the printer. Clicking save on the template then saved the printer selection.

This worked well in 2007 with templates created in 2003/2007 but Word 2010 seems to be a completely different beast :-(

Is there no way to get this same level of functionality out of 2010?

Thanks

Brendon

Friday, December 24, 2010 2:51 AM
  • You can use

Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrint).Show

to display the dialog that I think is the one to which you are referring.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"SafariV8" wrote in message news:b2e736d7-b5ef-4f0f-b14e-84e3e4978dd1@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Thanks Paul,

I guess most of my frustration with this is that it used to work. Templates created in Word 2003 and earlier allowed us to go into the print dialog, select a printer and then close the dialog with a close button rather than using OK to send the job to the printer. Clicking save on the template then saved the printer selection.

This worked well in 2007 with templates created in 2003/2007 but Word 2010 seems to be a completely different beast :-(

Is there no way to get this same level of functionality out of 2010?

Thanks

Brendon

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, January 7, 2011 9:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SafariV8 Friday, January 14, 2011 1:22 AM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 3:45 AM
  • Hi,

I don't want the user to be prompted for anything. I don't want any boxes to be popped up. What I am trying to get is the functionality we used to have in older versions of Word.

If you were to take any older version of word, and I've just tested this on 2002, you could go to File --> Print, select a printer and choose Close for that dialog. You could then save the template and it would save your printer selection.

If it's not we will need to address our entire printing regime as we need to find a non-interactive solution which will be useful across all of our client sites.

Many thanks

Brendon

Friday, January 14, 2011 1:41 AM
  • The Printer Selection is not saved in a Word document or Template.   You would need to use code in an AutoNew macro in the template to select a particular printer to be used for documents created from that template. Other wise, the printer that is set as the default in Windows will be the one that is used.

If you want to change the printer in Word 2010 without sending a document to the printer, using the code I gave you will display the print dialog that you used in Word 2002, OR, you can add the "Print Setup" button to the Quick Access Toolbar.  It can be selected from the All Commands group.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"SafariV8" wrote in message news:ecd08aa9-97bb-422f-9a77-f4d8b597e1a1@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi,

Many thanks

Brendon

• Marked as answer by SafariV8 Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:24 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 3:34 AM
  • Thanks Doug,

I think that does help as it confirms that I can't do what I wanted in the way I wanted. That's cool, we just need to have a think about the way we are going to interact with Word now.

Many thanks for all your help.

Brendon

Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:24 PM