XP SP3 and Windows Updates have not worked for a while RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

Continuing to fail Updates as listed below > Listed for both .NET 3 and .NET 4

These updates are listed for Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\SMSvcHost.exe, version 3.0.4506.2152
    Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\SMSvcHost.exe, version 4.0.30319.1
    All I can find is The version detected of Microsoft .NET Framework 4.x was 4.0.30319.1 while the latest version including one or more security fixes is ..... with no more added to the line
    And The version detected of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.x was 3.0.4506.2152 while the latest version including one or more security fixes is ..... With no more added to the line.
    All are on a XP SP3 computer

KB2604092
    KB2656352
    KB2729450
    KB2742596
    KB2756918
    KB2789643
    KB2804577
    KB2833940
    KB2844285

Attempts to fix (apart from M/soft Fixits that will not work / help) include the following >

Try to install 1 update at a time, try to install direct from Microft Download sites, and the following codes.

net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver

Thanks for any help -

Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Clean .Net (all versions) using .Net cleanup utility and then install the updates. We had same issues, and found this as only solution .

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:22 PM
  • As arnav suggested, we may try to repair the dotnet framework using the tool

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=30135

if doesnt work then need to go for a cleanup and install

Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Hello Vijay -

Is the tool you have linked to a Full .NET removal tool, or a Repair tool ?

Will I then need to find all .NET downloads, or will I be able to download from Windows Updates ?

If I need to find them, can you link them, or will I just hit Updates and hope they install ?

Remember that the problem is related to Failing Updates -

Thanks -

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Use this :

http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-PostAttachments/00-08-90-44-93/dotnetfx_5F00_cleanup_5F00_tool.zip

Clean all versions. Then again install

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by noknojon Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:42 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 9:57 AM
  • "" Clean all versions. Then again install ""

Please tell me where to Then Again Install from ?

This is what I asked in my last post -

Thanks -

Monday, July 29, 2013 10:59 AM
  • Hello -

I ran the tool listed above by Arnav Sharma, and it seems to have removed many versions of .NET Framework. Now in my Add / Remove, I only have .NET 3.5 version listed and no others.
    Should I now try to reinstall any other versions, or are they covered by .NET 3.5, and I only need to now install .NET 4. Or do I run Windows Updates to find any patches / updates for the others.

Thank You -

EDIT - Since I ran the Tool as provided, my screen and all writing has gone "vague".

It seems like the screen settings were reset to a lower visual setting.

This is why I wish to know what .NET versions to reinstall -

Thanks -

• Edited by noknojon Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:50 AM Extra added
    Monday, July 29, 2013 11:36 PM
  • uninstall 3.5 as well, and when its fully cleaned then try to install 3.5 followed by 4.0 if required. And then install patches.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Hi -

Started the reinstalls and all seemed to go well with 3.5 and 4.0 installs.

So after that I hit Updates and 1 (ONE) .NET was listed and this installed OK -

Well 5 minutes later, I rechecked Updates and NOW there are 27 listed as Express ??

This sounds like all the ones that failed over the last month or 2 ....

Do I try to install All of these or try to remove them some way ??

Thanks for the help so far -

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Install all of them.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Well -

So far there has been 30 Windows Updates in total that installed.

It has not reported any "Failed", so I will shut down for the night and hope to post a happy ending when I restart

It took about 2 and a half hours to inslall them, so lets hope they all "stick"

Thanks -

• Edited by noknojon Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:57 PM Extra added
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Hello Arnav Sharma -

I ended up installing 30 Windows Updates and all related to .NETFramework.
    All of them succeeded (green tick), and then I checked for more (no more).
    For now I will tick your answer as Correct

Thank You

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:41 AM