Sending a notification to a New Starter - by email address... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there. I hope someone can help with an issue I'm having...

I use SCSM to manage a New Starter process for all new hires to our company. I'm trying to configure (as a last step) an email to go out to the new hire containing some useful info.

I've built the template no problem, but am having trouble configuring the subscription to send the notification to a new contact. At this point, they will be in our Active Directory, but I was hoping to point the subscription at an email address (input into the Service Request, or perhaps a Parallel Activity within it) if possible?

I wonder if anyone can let me know if this is doable? Or if there's a way to enter the new user into another field in the SR, and have the subscription look at that for the recipient?

I hope I'm explaining this sufficiently!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:50 AM

Answers

• In SCSM you have to have the user's email in the CMDB. In SCSM you can notify: Static recipient which doesn't work for your requirement. Also it's possible to notify a related user (e.g. Affected User, Assigned To User) which would fit your requirement if the user's email adress is already available in the CMDB of SCSM.

If you add the email address in a field of the SR it's not possible to send an email by SCSM notification workflow ... as far as I know. One option would be to use System Center Orchestrator to get this done. Another option might be to create a custom workflow in SCSM with some "PowerShell magic".

Hope this helps.   

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:44 AM

All replies

• In SCSM you have to have the user's email in the CMDB. In SCSM you can notify: Static recipient which doesn't work for your requirement. Also it's possible to notify a related user (e.g. Affected User, Assigned To User) which would fit your requirement if the user's email adress is already available in the CMDB of SCSM.

If you add the email address in a field of the SR it's not possible to send an email by SCSM notification workflow ... as far as I know. One option would be to use System Center Orchestrator to get this done. Another option might be to create a custom workflow in SCSM with some "PowerShell magic".

Hope this helps.   

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:44 AM
  • Thanks very much for your swift reply, that's really useful.

Alas, Orchestrator and PowerShell magic are both beyond me at this time - but I think the 'related user' option could be the right path to go down regardless.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 11:22 AM