none
Project Pro 2016 - Start no earlier than and the Project Start Date RRS feed

• Question

• It appears that in Project 2016 the Start No Earlier than is over-riding the Project Start Date.  SNET is acting like a SNLT or Start On.  See below.  I have a Project Start Date of 1/1/20 and SNET constraints on some task 1's and Project is ignoring the Project Start Date.  The last version did not work this way.

To me, this is a flaw in the software.

Thanks, 

Sandy

Friday, April 6, 2018 2:15 PM

Answers

• Sandy,

Given a SNET constraint on a task with a constraint date earlier than the Project Start Date, Project will issue a schedule warning but there is no reason why it shouldn't allow the earlier start. For example, some users may have pre-contract tasking that starts before the contract date and for tracking purposes the user wants the Project Start date to be defined by the contract date. In order to schedule the pre-contract tasks, a SNET constraint is needed. I don't necessarily agree with that approach but it does have some validity.

If a task in the middle of the schedule has a SNET constraint date that is earlier than the task start date as driven by a predecessor, the later start date is valid because the constraint is not violated (i.e. start-no-EARLIER-than). However if the constraint date is later than the start date as driven by a predecessor, the constraint will insure the task does not start until the constraint date. So the SNET is not overridden.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:02 PM

All replies

• Sandy,

It is not unique to Project 2016, other versions will do that also if you do not have the option to "show scheduling messages" set. You can find that under File > Options > Schedule group.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, April 6, 2018 4:22 PM
  • Thanks John.  I do have my "show scheduling messages" turned on.  Not getting any messages though.
    Friday, April 6, 2018 4:29 PM
  • Sandy,

There are two schedule message options, one is global (i.e. "show scheduling messages"), and the other is by project (i.e. "show task schedule warnings").

Try this, close all files and Project. Re-start Project and check to see that the global option is set. Now create a new file and manually set the start date of a task so it is before today's date. Do you see a warning?

John

Friday, April 6, 2018 4:56 PM
  • Hello John, 

I figured out what is happening.  If I have a SNET constraint on the first activity in a schedule  it overrides the Project Start date (which I'm still not sure I agree with that logic).  If I have a SNET constraint on a task in the middle of a schedule, logic overrides the SNET date.  I guess I expected the Project Start date to override a SNET date, if the Project Start date is later than the SNET date.

Sandy

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:09 PM
  • Sandy,

Given a SNET constraint on a task with a constraint date earlier than the Project Start Date, Project will issue a schedule warning but there is no reason why it shouldn't allow the earlier start. For example, some users may have pre-contract tasking that starts before the contract date and for tracking purposes the user wants the Project Start date to be defined by the contract date. In order to schedule the pre-contract tasks, a SNET constraint is needed. I don't necessarily agree with that approach but it does have some validity.

If a task in the middle of the schedule has a SNET constraint date that is earlier than the task start date as driven by a predecessor, the later start date is valid because the constraint is not violated (i.e. start-no-EARLIER-than). However if the constraint date is later than the start date as driven by a predecessor, the constraint will insure the task does not start until the constraint date. So the SNET is not overridden.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:02 PM