How to run cpl as local administrator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

We have a user that works on graphics and he needs to run "Adobe Gamma.cpl".

But when he tries to run, it shows a message that only administrators can run it:

"To be able to run Adobe Gamma you must log on with Administrator Privileges".

I tried run as administrator, the message persists.

I tried run as domain administrator, the message persists.

I tried to run as local administrator, it worked!

I tried put this user on local administrators group, it worked too!

But I can't give him local administrator password and I must leave him as a simple user on workstation. 

I was imagining how I can make this executable by simple users.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

FM

Fabio Martins MCDST/MCSA Brasil!!!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:33 PM

Answers

• There are products like BeyondTrust PowerBroker for Windows that can be configured to attach an administrator token to a process so that it runs in admin context without granting the end user admin privileges.  

http://www.beyondtrust.com/Products/PowerBrokerforWindows/

There's a licensing fee when installed and managed at an enterprise level, but it does not require a license to install locally, at least it didn't some time ago.  While it is technically possible to install that on dozens of workstations, it would be a bit of a pain to manage and I think it is stretching the interpretation of the license agreement.  The trial might expire now, I haven't used it in years.  The cost wasn't too high and might be worth investigating anyway.

You could also package a simple script to launch the control panel and advertise it to run in system context with SCCM or some other application distribution tool.  While that may seem heavy handed, if you have the tools it is pretty straightforward and solves the problem.

I hope this post has helped!

• Marked as answer by EMMmmmmmm Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:49 PM