none
DNS Secondary zone "Zone never loaded" RRS feed

• Question

• I have 5 2012 R2 DNS role holders, 3 of these are on Domain Controllers. 2 of them hold secondary zone copies, they get the transfers from the domain controllers. Lately I have noticed that on the secondary zone role holders it shows as "running" but when you look at the zone properties it says "zone not loaded".

These are in the name server list, and the zones are configured to allow for transferring of zones, Ports 53 UDP and TCP are open, I have reloaded, transfer from master,  transfer new copy from master, restarted, etc. and it does not come back to running state.

In the event logs I am getting event ID 6525 and 6527

Any thoughts as to what can be causing the issue?

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1.Have you used firewall,AV or other similar 3rd-party software at the same time?If yes,please temporary disable them and test again.

2.How did you set the zone transfer?If it is not to 'any',please set as 'any' and test again.

3.Have you checked DNS debug logging,is there any related information?

tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 1, 2016 1:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1.Have you used firewall,AV or other similar 3rd-party software at the same time?If yes,please temporary disable them and test again.

2.How did you set the zone transfer?If it is not to 'any',please set as 'any' and test again.

3.Have you checked DNS debug logging,is there any related information?

tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 1, 2016 1:44 AM
  • it looks like mcafee HIPS was the cause
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:47 PM