attach documents after submitting the form to document library RRS feed

• Question

• hi all ,is that possible to attach document to the form that already submitted to the document library because i have tried to add attachment the click on submit button but it is gave me the following error

InfoPath cannot submit the form.
    The form was not submitted because a form named MyFormName.xml already exists in the document library at http://MySite/DocLib. Please contact the provider of the form.

as you can see  i can not submit the form again because it is already exist .So how can i attach document is there anyway to achieve this.

Thank in advance

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:09 AM

Answers

• The problem is not with the attachment of a document to your form, but with the submission.

To add an attachment, you can simply add a File Attachment control to your form and you will be able to attach documents. You cannot do this after the form is submitted.

The issue, with your form is that you are trying to overwrite an existing one, while it is set to not overwrite

To fix this try modifying your submit data connection, and check, 'Allow overwrite if file exists'. This should fix the problem.

hope this helps,

sivilian

• Proposed as answer by Clayton Cobb Monday, July 12, 2010 2:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, July 12, 2010 3:28 PM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 1:00 PM
  • yes of course it help and that is what i need

thank you very much sivilian

Also, be sure that you are auto-generating your filename so that each time it is unique, and the user never has to type it in.  You must do this to ensure that you don't have the same filename each time that constantly overwrites itself.  You need unique files that overwrite themselves only when edited individually.

InfoPath – Auto-Generating Filenames

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Ahmed Naji Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:50 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 2:35 PM

All replies

• The problem is not with the attachment of a document to your form, but with the submission.

To add an attachment, you can simply add a File Attachment control to your form and you will be able to attach documents. You cannot do this after the form is submitted.

The issue, with your form is that you are trying to overwrite an existing one, while it is set to not overwrite

To fix this try modifying your submit data connection, and check, 'Allow overwrite if file exists'. This should fix the problem.

hope this helps,

sivilian

• Proposed as answer by Clayton Cobb Monday, July 12, 2010 2:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, July 12, 2010 3:28 PM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 1:00 PM

• Marked as answer by Ahmed Naji Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:51 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ahmed Naji Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:51 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 1:51 PM

Also, be sure that you are auto-generating your filename so that each time it is unique, and the user never has to type it in.  You must do this to ensure that you don't have the same filename each time that constantly overwrites itself.  You need unique files that overwrite themselves only when edited individually.

InfoPath – Auto-Generating Filenames

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Ahmed Naji Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:50 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 2:35 PM