Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Bug found RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure where to send this, as Microsoft Support will charge me to point out an issue i located in the UI on the Windows 7 OS. 

Seems that Disk Cleanup thinks that the disk can be cleaned way more than the capacity.. 

This should probably be patched.. 

Rob

Thursday, November 9, 2017 3:17 PM

Answers

• You may well have something there.  It might also be something flakey with the Dell systems.  The first SSD I installed in a Dell was not even recognized.  This was one of the 1st OCZ drives and it used an internal controller the Dell system didn't like.

I don't remember for sure what the second SSD was, but I think it was a Kingston, and I never had a problem with it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by themanindbox Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:47 PM
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:29 PM

All replies

• I have not seen this on any computer I have ever worked on, but I would suspect the erroneous figures are caused by a faulty hard drive and not a problem with the Windows operating system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, November 9, 2017 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

Did the issue occur randomly or persistently?

Please try to take following steps to check hard driver.

1. Open Start.

2. Type Command Prompt (Run as Administrator).

3.  Type the following command, and then press Enter.

Chkdsk drive:  /f

Note: drive is the hard driver letter.

Please try to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to check system files and recovery corrupted files, here are steps:

1. Open Command Prompt (as administrator).

2. Type sfc /scannow, and then press Enter.

Please also check if the PC is up to date. (Type Windows Update, then select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Vera Hu Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:04 AM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 10:18 AM
  • Hi, 

Hows everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 1:28 AM
  • It's not a specific machine issue.. i can actually reproduce it on any MIcrosoft Windows 7 machine in our infrastructure.. I tested it on 5 machines.. out of 85.. to be fair, i stopped caring that much after it happened on the 2nd one.. 

Rob

Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:56 PM
  • I have not seen this on any computer I have ever worked on, but I would suspect the erroneous figures are caused by a faulty hard drive and not a problem with the Windows operating system.

It's crazy right? 

Yeah i actually can replicate it on all 5 of the machines i tried it on.. I am now starting to wonder if it is due to them all being SSD drives.. Maybe the Generic Western Digital Blue and the chipset controller are not on the same page.. LOL so to speak.. Most of these machines are OptiPlex 70 or 9020 series.. which i believe never had an SSD option.. that's the only thing i can think of.. Weird at any rate.. 

Rob

Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:58 PM
  • You may well have something there.  It might also be something flakey with the Dell systems.  The first SSD I installed in a Dell was not even recognized.  This was one of the 1st OCZ drives and it used an internal controller the Dell system didn't like.

I don't remember for sure what the second SSD was, but I think it was a Kingston, and I never had a problem with it.

• Marked as answer by themanindbox Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:47 PM
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:29 PM
  • More than likely the same kind of crazy issue.. Yeah no issues on the WD drives either..  just Windows thinks the drive has more drive than exists.. I mean unless Microsoft Clean up has figured out a way to double the SSD hard disk space.. in which case, "Microsoft don't fix this".. ;) 

Thanks for the reply.. 

Be easy.. 

Rob

Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:47 PM