short cuts RRS feed

• Question

• No shortcut was created when I downloaded a game. I have to run 'set up' each time I want to play. What do i do about this?

Monday, August 4, 2008 4:13 AM

Answers

• Shae

What happens when you double click the 'set up' file?

Does the program try to install the game again or..?

If the program is found in the uninstall/change programs list, it should be installed.

Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Program Files. Look for the folder where the game was installed. The folder may have the name of the game or the maker of the game.

If you find it, look in that folder and all of it's sub-folders for the executable (.exe) file.

Let us know.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, August 4, 2008 10:18 PM

All replies

• You could either:
    1- create a shortcut:  right-click the desktop > new > shortcut, browse to the game (typically, in Program Files); or,
    2- type the name of the game into the Search box in the Start menu when you want to play.  Search results are displayed at the top of the start menu; just click on the appropriate item.

HTH,

Monday, August 4, 2008 4:59 AM
  • Hi

Why not just create your own shortcut.

Open Windows Explorer, locate the executable file for the game, (eg:  gamename.exe ).

Right click the executable file and select Create Shortcut. Move the shortcut to a handy location.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Monday, August 4, 2008 5:00 AM
  • No 'exe' file comes up. Only 'set up'. and the program in the uninstall/change programs file. Do you think something is wrong with the configuration of Windows that maybe isnt saving the file? Vista is very new to me and I cant seem to work it  as I did XP. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times thinking I may have missed something.  Shae

Monday, August 4, 2008 5:37 AM
  • Shae

What happens when you double click the 'set up' file?

Does the program try to install the game again or..?

If the program is found in the uninstall/change programs list, it should be installed.

Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Program Files. Look for the folder where the game was installed. The folder may have the name of the game or the maker of the game.

If you find it, look in that folder and all of it's sub-folders for the executable (.exe) file.

Let us know.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, August 4, 2008 10:18 PM
  • Went to Program Files and found it in an MSN folder. (Oberon folder was empty) Was able to create short cut. Thank you very much. Shae 

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:41 AM
  • Shae

Excellent!

I'm glad you this solved the problem. Enjoy the game.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 3:04 PM