none
External USB Drive with BitLocker To Go Encryption Accidently Formatted RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My external hard drive (2TB Toshiba USB 3.0) with BitLocker To Go encryption was accidentally formatted using Windows ‘Quick Format’ option.  My PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I do have the following details in relation to the BitLocker encryption for this drive;
    - BitLocker Recovery Key
    - Full Recovery Key Identification
    - BitLocker Password

Is there any way to restore the external drive to the ‘pre-format’ state so that I can recover/access the data?

The drive is in a good health, … always removed safely by ejecting from notification area and chkdsk has no errors, … unfortunately data wasn’t backed up as I was in process of migrating to new PC and accidentally deleted the master back-up .

Any help or suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 2:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This article may give you some ideas, please refer to the link:

How to recover data from a deleted, BitLocker enabled partition?

https://www.normanbauer.com/2013/07/25/how-to-recover-data-from-a-deleted-bitlocker-enabled-partition/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the problem still persists, I’m afraid you may need to connect manufacturer for further help.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:27 AM