Com Surrogate RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot backup bdecause above is not working?? Will someone help please...No backup for weeks!
    Jac
    Friday, December 3, 2010 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Jac,

You may follow the steps mentioned below to fix COM Surrogate issue on your computer. 

1.      Right click on Computer, and choose Properties.
    2.      Click on Advanced System Settings, and then under Advanced, click Settings
    3.      Select the “Data Execution Protection” tab, and then click “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select?
    4.      Click on the Add button, and then browse to C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe as shown
    5.      Click Open, and then OK.

After this Verify for the check mark on Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select under that check COM Surrogate.

Once you have completed the above steps, try to disable or temporarily disable the security software’s and firewall on the computer and try to create the backup and verify if it helps you fix the issue.

More information:

Com Surrogate

Hope this information is useful.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, December 10, 2010 2:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:54 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 7:39 AM
  • faulty shell extensions,previewhandlers, "codec packs" - in other words 3rd party stuff that plugs itself into Windows shell / Explorer can cause that error.

I happened to have that error by installing a none Adobe Pdf-Reader. The thumbnails for my pdfs generated by that reader lead to the issue that whenever I opened a folder with pdfs in it Explorer.exe crashed and "Com Surrogate has stopped working" was displayed.

It happens on Vista and Win7 and was caused by this specific software . After uninstalling it and installing the reader from Adobe the error was gone.

So dig through your programs you have installed ... maybe something there is the cause that has plugged itself so deeply into the Vista Shell and is behaving strange. By nature the complete desktop will be affected.

Friday, December 10, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Sorry guys but it still does not work!

Jac

Jac
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:58 AM