none
Can't get Exchange Server 2007 to send or receive smtp/pop3 mail RRS feed

• Question

• My problem is simple, yet complicated. Our mail server died. We had to create a new one. We have Exchange 2007. The OS on the server is Windows Server 2003 R2. We've upgraded the OS with the latest service packs. We insalled Exchange 2007, and included all of the server roles, including unified messaging, then installed service pack 3 for Exchange. Everything works. We ran the mail flow troubleshooter and got no error messages, yet we we are unable to send or receive external email. We can get failure messages sent to the originating desktop from the server, but thats it. Outside mail does not get delivered, and mail from the inside does not get rounted to the internet. We get two error messages. In the queue viewer, we get the error "a matching connector cannot be found," and when we run the mail flow troubleshooter, under the mail acceptance test we get the error "server does not support secure connections." I have created send connectors, receive connectors, and created new certificates. Still the two test messages I sent to a yahoo account are still on the server with the error "a matching connector cannot be found." What gives? The test messages were created from a desktop running Windows 7 pro, and Outlook 2010 as the client. I've tried almost everything with no success. Help please.

Larry

Monday, April 14, 2014 9:41 PM

Answers

• What address space have you used in the Send Connector?

Without knowing your domain name it's difficult to offer any advice about your not receiving inbound e-mail from the Internet.

Have you put your domain into the "Accepted Domains" list?

Did you assign the same IP address to your new server as the one used by the old server? If not, you may have to adjust your firewall/router so connections are delivered to the correct address.

The "server does not support secure connections" is probably related to you x.509v3 certificate. If the name in the connector's FQDN (both send and receive connectors) doesn't match a name in the certificate (either in the common name or subject alternative name properties) the connector won't be able to use TLS. That, usually, won't be a problem with receiving or sending e-mail to the Internet, but it may affect mail to/from specific domains.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:33 PM