How to block Edge Browser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are starting to deploy Windows 10 and have realised that the favourites are not stored under the same file system path as IE favourites were, we use folder redirection which doesn't work with Edge. As I am sure you can appreciate, it doesn't matter how many times you tell an end user to store favourites in IE and import them into Edge so they are safely redirected - they wont. We also have intranet sites which must be run under IE and only IE, so i'd like to know if there is a way of blocking Edge from starting using Group Policy, until we see the Edge browser and end user education mature a little. We use Windows 10 Pro which I believe the GPO AppLocker thing won't work on, doesn't look like we can remove Edge from the clients either - it seems to be baked in.

thanks

Steve

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Microsoft Edge is a "trusted" UI App and a core part of the Windows 10 Operating System; it can't be removed by conventional means, just like Internet Explorer could not be removed from previous versions of Windows by conventional means. There are a couple workarounds:

You can navigate to the Windows Apps install location:

C:\Windows\SystemApps\

Then, you can open the folder and rename the Microsoft Edge executables (MicrosoftEdge.exe and MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe) and/or delete them by using a script.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:13 AM
  • Seriously? "rename the Microsoft Edge executables (MicrosoftEdge.exe and MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe) and/or delete them by using a script"

And then, next time you update, the exes will get put back again. And each time Edge is launched accidentally or on purpose, your users will get an error.

What a seriously BAD answer, especially from someone who works for Microsoft!

Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for pointing that out, based on our test result, if you rename that file, there is no error message shows when user click edge icon. We understand your concern, if Microsoft release any update about edge, it would reverts back as you mentioned. We also don’t recommend that to able edge by using this way, but some environment do have serious compatibility issue with the new browser since Windows 10 is a new system. And Windows 10 does not have official method to remove or disable that at the present stage, so we provide this workaround to users, it won’t affect system integrity based on our test, but after all it is just a temporary workaround currently. If you rename it back, it still works. Personally I think eventually Windows 10 would allow user to remove/disable edge completely by GPO or other ways. Again thanks for pointing out. it is helpful.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 7, 2015 2:08 AM

All replies

• Regards getting site to launch in IE not Edge, use Enterprise Mode for Internet Explorer, which has been updated to support Edge (or rather, Edge respects its settings). For example, the SCCM Application Catalog launches a web page which uses Silverlight, which isn't supported in Edge. Using EMIE I've set that URL to be launched in IE. Edge starts to launch it, but immediately launches IE to render the page.

Regards making IE the default browser, it's all about changing the default associations. You can do this via GPO, or (as I do) one time import of default associations (I use it to set PDFs to open in Acrobat Reader, not the Reader app, for example). See Set the default browser using Group Policy, a Microsoft article.

• Proposed as answer by Robin F Herbert Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:31 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

at this point there are only a hand full GPO settings available for Edge: http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2015/07/edge-group-policy-settings/  -you may be interested in "Sends all intranet traffic over to Internet Explorer". Haven't tried the AppLocker approach yet to confirm that - basically should work though.

Edit: Blocking built-in apps in Windows 10 using Applocker

Regards

Daniel

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Edited by RabanserD Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

Microsoft Edge is a "trusted" UI App and a core part of the Windows 10 Operating System; it can't be removed by conventional means, just like Internet Explorer could not be removed from previous versions of Windows by conventional means. There are a couple workarounds:

You can navigate to the Windows Apps install location:

C:\Windows\SystemApps\

Then, you can open the folder and rename the Microsoft Edge executables (MicrosoftEdge.exe and MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe) and/or delete them by using a script.

Regards,

D. Wu

Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:13 AM
  • Seriously? "rename the Microsoft Edge executables (MicrosoftEdge.exe and MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe) and/or delete them by using a script"

And then, next time you update, the exes will get put back again. And each time Edge is launched accidentally or on purpose, your users will get an error.

What a seriously BAD answer, especially from someone who works for Microsoft!

Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for pointing that out, based on our test result, if you rename that file, there is no error message shows when user click edge icon. We understand your concern, if Microsoft release any update about edge, it would reverts back as you mentioned. We also don’t recommend that to able edge by using this way, but some environment do have serious compatibility issue with the new browser since Windows 10 is a new system. And Windows 10 does not have official method to remove or disable that at the present stage, so we provide this workaround to users, it won’t affect system integrity based on our test, but after all it is just a temporary workaround currently. If you rename it back, it still works. Personally I think eventually Windows 10 would allow user to remove/disable edge completely by GPO or other ways. Again thanks for pointing out. it is helpful.

Regards,

D. Wu

Monday, December 7, 2015 2:08 AM
  • Is there a better solution developed at this point for disabling the Edge browser and using IE11 as the default?
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:04 PM
  • Looks like to me you'll have to run Enterprise version and spend some time hardening the server with deployed policies that agree with your corporate standards.  I found this link interesting and how it differed in availability of settings between Professional and Enterprise:

msdn > library > windows > hardware > Customize > Mobile device management > Configuration service provider references > Policy CSP  (reg settings to turn off blue tooth, for example; sorry, no links as I've just "registered")

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Bob Kranson - I think you've posted to the wrong topic. Can't really see how server hardening, mobile device management and turning off Bluetooth has anything to do with disabling the Edge browser in Windows 10...
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:01 AM