When is a page not a page? RRS feed

• Question

• Answer - when its two pages:

Here are two URLs:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?category=vslanguages

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=vslanguages

The first is for Visual Studio Languages and looks like this:

The second is for - erm - Visual Studio Languages and - erm - looks like this:

This is the kind of inexcusable sloppiness that's bewildering people and this is just one example among several that are leading to very dissatisfied and annoyed developers.

Why oh why are there two alternate renderings for the same forum?

What other forums have a dedicated style/title of their own like the first image above?

Office doesn't seem to, BizTalk server doesn't seem to - its just plain confusing.

Why was this whole confusing messed up website ever signed off as tested and fit for purpose?

It took me some effort and time to carefully prepare these posts here today, I had to spend time getting to the pages, taking images etc - I did this hoping that someone somewhere in Microsoft will actually see what were all facing and agree its a mess and do something about it - I do hope my posts and those of the others are not in vain...

Hugh

Hugh Moran - http://www.morantex.com

• Edited by Morantex Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:04 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:59 PM

All replies

• This is branding related and is by design, if I'm not mistaken.

Want to see an even weirder combination? Try this:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?category=vslanguages

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 12,000+ strong and growing)

Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:23 PM
  • This is branding related and is by design, if I'm not mistaken.

Want to see an even weirder combination? Try this:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?category=vslanguages

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 12,000+ strong and growing)

That's it - I've seen enough for one day - I really do worry about whether Microsoft are beginning to fall apart from the inside...

Hugh

Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:31 PM
  • These branding issues are beyond my comprehension. They make no sense to me. About a month ago I realized that some forums are in both MSDN and TechNet. They appear differently depending on the url (how you got there), but they are the same. The "vstudio" in some url's is a complete mystery. I guess "sqlserver" is similar.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:07 AM
  • I don't really understand why they exist, but I've learned how to use them to my advantage.

/sqlserver/ is nice for actual TechNet forums, because it restores the full page width. I use /scriptcenter/ in place of /windowsserver/ because it allows new/unread threads to show in bold font. There are some others that I can't remember off the top of my head (/mvpforum/ or something like that is one of them), but those are the two I use the most.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 2:01 AM

• Ah, but click these totally different looking screenshots and compare side by side.  See the address bar?

They're the identical url.    : P

FYI, the second screenshot's link is broken.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:27 AM
  • Hmm.

I've seen the page design on the right appear every now and again. It was applied to the scripting guys forum for a few minutes about 3 hours ago. I have no explanation as to why though.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:37 AM
  • Pardon my hijack.  But do you think the other respondent in that thread might better have not responded at all?  Here's a similar one, where I am marked abusive and that mark has remained for a full week.  I really just don't participate here anymore, because when I speak up (and I often feel compelled to), then I get banned for it.  Or am I wrong?  Your honest opinion, plz.

I think a lot of people around here are very knowledgeable, but could really use a refresher course in customer service. Before I go to far, I'll call myself out on that too. There have been times that I've posted something that could be read as dismissive.

Still though, I don't necessarily understand why some people are as grumpy as they seem. I can understand an entry-level helpdesk guy getting frustrated and being short with people at a job he hates, but we're all here by choice. But again, I've done the exact same thing. I couldn't take out my frustration at work, so some user here got a full dose of it...

I do definitely find it odd that so many of your posts end up getting marked as abusive. The fact that the calculator thread is now empty and useless rather than actually interesting for someone to stumble upon in the future is sad. As I said before, I don't always agree with your tone (and I'm sure people don't always agree with mine), but your information is usually good (I got a kick out of the recent animated GIF). So, that said, I'd say to stick around. I'm lucky, the forums I frequent appear to have much less drama than the ones you do.

I'll quit threadjacking now, even though I doubt the OP is coming back. I really think I blew his mind with the SQL branding on VS threads link.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:48 AM
  • Pardon my hijack.  But do you think the other respondent in that thread might better have not responded at all?  Here's a similar one, where I am marked abusive and that mark has remained for a full week.  I really just don't participate here anymore, because when I speak up (and I often feel compelled to), then I get banned for it.  Or am I wrong?  Your honest opinion, plz.

I think a lot of people around here are very knowledgeable, but could really use a refresher course in customer service. Before I go to far, I'll call myself out on that too. There have been times that I've posted something that could be read as dismissive.

Still though, I don't necessarily understand why some people are as grumpy as they seem. I can understand an entry-level helpdesk guy getting frustrated and being short with people at a job he hates, but we're all here by choice. But again, I've done the exact same thing. I couldn't take out my frustration at work, so some user here got a full dose of it...

I do definitely find it odd that so many of your posts end up getting marked as abusive. The fact that the calculator thread is now empty and useless rather than actually interesting for someone to stumble upon in the future is sad. As I said before, I don't always agree with your tone (and I'm sure people don't always agree with mine), but your information is usually good (I got a kick out of the recent animated GIF). So, that said, I'd say to stick around. I'm lucky, the forums I frequent appear to have much less drama than the ones you do.

I'll quit threadjacking now, even though I doubt the OP is coming back. I really think I blew his mind with the SQL branding on VS threads link.

Well I'm still here - despite the dissapointing forum behavior. I've recently found myself fuming at Microsoft because in so many areas I'm experiencing/witnessing a fall in quality and a lack of concern for users/customers, it really has struck me this past 18 to 24 months.

Registering my Phone dev account was like a clip from the movie Brazil and the 27B/4 scene.

Then I was almost locked out because of new security feature with my live account, it wouldn't let me login unless it sent me a code to my alternate email address, yet every time it sent it I never received it and I had no other choice.

I contacted some online help chat person who decided that because this was preventing me accessing my MSDN downloads then it was an 'MSDN issue' and I should contact MSDN - this was of course passing the buck.

I resolved it but only by patiently telling the chat help person how to go about helping me!

But what about my Store developer account? I'd assumed that because I already had a Phone account then it would be easy to get a Store dev account -silly me.

Now we have a messed up forum a forum that is easily trumped by hordes of tech forums all over the web, most of which allow private communication between members. This began years ago when to my astonishment I found that ASP.NET questions had to be posted at a completely different site (not MSDN) and needed a separate account setting up.

Why ASP.NET technology can't be treated in the same uniform manner that other Microsoft technologies are was never explained.

My jaw dropped recently upon hearing that no consideration had been given to allowing trade-in of Surface 1 devices for Surface 2, despite the fact that Microsoft are openly accepting iPad an iPhone trade-ins from Apple customers.

So many aspects of what Microsoft do these days smack of haste, poor management, desperation, amateurishness and confusion that I really now do wonder if the company can remain in a position of dominance in its chosen markets.

Hugh

Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:25 AM
  • So many aspects of what Microsoft do these days smack of haste, poor management, desperation, amateurishness and confusion that I really now do wonder if the company can remain in a position of dominance in its chosen markets.

Hugh, I 100% agree as well.

Sunday, September 29, 2013 2:09 PM