Reliability Scale #1 - #10 ?? RRS feed

• Question

• With Vista the reliability scale used to drop dramatically from 10.00 downwards whenever an application "stopped working".  Now with Windows 7 (RTM) I am finding the reliability index never drops below 10.00 even after an application has stopped working.

What gives?

Has the reliability index been made less sensitive in Win7?
    What does it take to get the index to drop below 10.00 ?

Thank you
    NigelS
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:28 AM

Answers

• Hi NigelS,

Thank you for posting.

Please go to “Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Reliability Monitor” and see if there is any information logged. If so, please let us know the details.

You can also capture a screenshot on Reliability Monitor:

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please upload the picture to Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) and share its URL with us.

Meanwhile, I would like to share the following document for your reference:

Using Reliability Monitor

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:29 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 10:27 AM

All replies

• I can't confirm this behavior. I'm playing some games occasionally that sometimes demand too much memory for my measly 1 GB RAM, and therefore "stop working" once in a while. This happening, my reliability score falls instantly from 10.00 to 5.00 and needs days of normal work to restore.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:06 PM
  • very strange!

I can't get reliability to drop below 10.00 on my machine and I've had several incidents which most certainly would have affected the index on a vista machine!
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Hi NigelS,

Thank you for posting.

Please go to “Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Reliability Monitor” and see if there is any information logged. If so, please let us know the details.

You can also capture a screenshot on Reliability Monitor:

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please upload the picture to Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) and share its URL with us.

Meanwhile, I would like to share the following document for your reference:

Using Reliability Monitor

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:29 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 10:27 AM