none
PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

Question

• I have 2 PowerPoint files that crash PowerPoint when attempting to open them. The problem is that this is only happening on some computers. All the machines I have attempted to open the files on are running Windows 7 and have Office 2010 installed. The computers also have Office 2010 SP1 install so I have ruled that out as an issue as well.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To narrow down the root cause of PowerPoint crashing on individual computer, I would suggest you firstly test it by starting PowerPoint in safe mode (powerpnt.exe /safe) and changing the default printer.
    If it doesn’t work, try saving these 2 PowerPoint files into PowerPoint Show (.ppsx) type and then open them on specified clients.

In addition, more troubleshooting steps can be found in the following article:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/bgp/archive/2010/07/08/troubleshooting-powerpoint-startup.aspx

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To narrow down the root cause of PowerPoint crashing on individual computer, I would suggest you firstly test it by starting PowerPoint in safe mode (powerpnt.exe /safe) and changing the default printer.
    If it doesn’t work, try saving these 2 PowerPoint files into PowerPoint Show (.ppsx) type and then open them on specified clients.

In addition, more troubleshooting steps can be found in the following article:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/bgp/archive/2010/07/08/troubleshooting-powerpoint-startup.aspx

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:18 AM
  • Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards

Rex Zhang

Monday, May 28, 2012 1:48 AM
  • My first opportunity to troubleshoot with your suggestions will be today. I will post back this afternoon. Thanks.
    • Edited by techguyrva Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:16 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:16 PM