SharePoint Search and Document Library Folders RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to build a solution in SharePoint 2010 using SharePoint and want to know if this is possible.

I have a Document Library with 'Document Set' content type. Each document set will have 4-5 files inside it. Now we want do a freetext search on this document library. I have created scope to search only within this library, but there is requirement that if a particular text is found in a document inside a document set, instead of returning the individual files, we want the document set itself. Is this possible through sharepoint search?

Satheesh
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:51 PM

All replies

• Everything is possible, but not what you are talking about out of the box.  You would have to have a protocol handler that would add a managed property to the item based on the sub items.  I haven't seen any 3rd party apps that do this yet.

The other way would be to add additional columns to the "folder" type and then have some event handler update those properties based on the documents in the lower level.  also not very trivial, but possible.

Chris
    Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:42 PM