Com Surrogate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I tried the following steps to solve the problem:

1. Right click This PC, and select Properties.

2. Click on Advanced System Settings, click the Advanced Tab.

3. In the Performance section, click Settings.

4. Select the "Data Execution Protection" tab, and then click the 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select' option.

5. Click the Add button, and then browse to C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe.

6. Click open, click  OK on the warning message.

... but in the end it says can’t do in 64 bit executables.

How can I fix it?

Thank you in advance.

Friday, October 6, 2017 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hello,

See if this fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/you-can-not-set-dep-attributes-on-64-bit-executables

Let us know if this helps, Good luck!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Friday, October 6, 2017 11:14 AM
  • Hi,

On 32-bit systems, you could whitelist:

C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe

And on 64-bit systems, that would be:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dllhost.exe

You could perform a clean boot and disable security software temporarily to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If the issue still insists, you could run Antivirus software to scan and run these command in the command prompt. Click on Start, type cmd and then right-click and choose Run as Administrator. Now type in the following commands, pressing enter after each one:

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

regsvr32 jscript.dll

Meanwhile, you could reinstall the graphics driver.

Some information about fix problems with COM Surrogate on Windows 10.

http://windowsreport.com/com-surrogate-windows-10/

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 9, 2017 3:12 AM
  • Hi TaHadi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Hi TaHadi,

Any update?

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:59 PM
  • I have exact same error pop ups during internet browser on edge and modifying DEP didn´t help.

Please remember to mark my post as an answer, if I really helped you out, or vote if usefull. Thank you!

Sunday, March 18, 2018 10:47 AM
  • @yannara: when you have 3rd party Antivirus or Firewall software installed, uninstall: COM surrogate has stopped working
    else share a dump file for the process.
    Monday, March 19, 2018 7:39 AM
  • @yannara: when you have 3rd party Antivirus or Firewall software installed, uninstall: COM surrogate has stopped working
    else share a dump file for the process.

Not the case but thanks.

Please remember to mark my post as an answer, if I really helped you out, or vote if usefull. Thank you!

Monday, March 19, 2018 5:36 PM
  • so can you share a dump file?
    Monday, March 19, 2018 7:43 PM
  • I tought that this error is very common, but if there are varities in this, I will perhaps open my own thread.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:19 AM