how to manually remove an exchange 2010 server RRS feed

• Question

• I know there is no supported method to manually remove an Exchange 2010 server by Microsoft, but it has to be able to be done.  I have an Exchange 2010 server that has crashed and has no data on it and I do not want to rebuild the whole thing just to go through the Microsoft supported method to remove it.  I want to use the ADSI editor and remove all traces of this specific server.  We do have other Exchange 2010 servers that are in production.  I just want to remove this one specific server.

Anyone done this before?

Network Touch

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:37 PM

Answers

• Yeppers. Recover the server, then remove with Add/Remove Programs.

If there are any mailboxes still pointing to the database or other issues, it should flag that when you run the uninstall routine.

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by NetworkTouch Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:42 AM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:27 AM

All replies

• Several people, apparently. If you look at "Related Topics" to the right of this column (to the right of these posts, this conversation), there are a number of links on this subject.

This one in particular:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/zh/exchangesvrmigration/thread/0d45d6d3-6c85-489a-a78e-d73acfd6a63e

You already know it's not supported so I won't insist on that point.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:54 PM
  • So the same basic method as Exchange 2003 ?  Follow below and remove the computer account.  That is it?  I would have thought there would have been more to it than that.

At this point only using adsiedit same instructions even for sbs.

• Click Start, run type ADSI Edit.
    • Expand the following items:
      Configuration Container
      CN=Configuration, DC=<var>Domain_Name</var>,DC=com
      CN=Services
      CN=Microsoft Exchange 
      CN=<var>Your_Organization_Name</var>
      CN=Administrative Groups
      CN=<var>Your_Administrative_Group_Name</var>
    • <var></var>CN=Servers

Right-click and delete server

Network Touch

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Right, almost seems too easy.

I'm guessing (and only guessing) that there *might* be references to it on other servers if it held a Public Folder replica, was a DAG member, or something like that.

The official install method would probably deal with those references better than if you just delete a single entry with ADSIEdit. 

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:19 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:15 PM
  • I would highly recommend against this. Go through the supported method - for no other reason than it will give you some good practice at DR.:)

Why? well, you may find down the road that some rollup or SP fails simply because you have a remnant of some server that can't be resolved or it was linked to some policy or array value etc...

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:19 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Hi
      You had better by support way.
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332361.aspx
      If it is just labr environment, you can do test and read this blog.
      If it is not lab environment, please recover broken server and remove it.
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876880.aspx
      TechNet Subscriber Supportin forum
      If you have any feedback on our support, please contact
    tngfb@microsoft.com

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:26 AM
  • So if I use the /m:recoverserver, it says I must setup the same drive letters. I do not know anything about the original server except the computer name. Will that be a problem? So just run the /m:recoverserver, then when it is done, add/remove programs and remove exchange? That is it? Any gotchas or other items I should be concerned about?

Network Touch

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:25 AM
  • Yeppers. Recover the server, then remove with Add/Remove Programs.

If there are any mailboxes still pointing to the database or other issues, it should flag that when you run the uninstall routine.

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by NetworkTouch Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:42 AM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Is there any way to tell what version of Exchange 2010 the server was running or does it even matter since all I am doing is recovering the server, then removing it?

Network Touch

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:45 PM
  • get-exchangeserver |fl  will do it

Network Touch

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Hi,
    Exchange 2010 Manual Un-Installation is UN-SUPPORTED.
    The Best way to Remove Exchange 2010 is Uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs.
    You may try the following article.
    This will COMPLETELY REMOVE ALL Exchange related objects from Organization Completely.
    As It will Remove all Exchange Related Active directory Objects , None of the Exchange related stuff will work after you complete the following Manual Un-Installation.
    Please don’t follow in case you have any working exchange server ( 2000,2003,2007 or 2010) in your Organization.
    Ref to:
    How to Manually Uninstall Last Exchange 2010 Server from Organization
    All the Best :)

Sathish Kumar Elango | MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging | http://msexchangehelp.wordpress.com

Please click Vote As Helpful if it is helpful for you and Propose as Answer!!! Sathish Kumar Elango | MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging | http://msexchangehelp.wordpress.com

Please click Vote As Helpful if it is helpful for you and Propose as Answer!!! Sathish Kumar Elango | MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging | http://msexchangehelp.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:59 AM