Problem with Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed Server Core RC1 without typing Product Key in setup.

Now, I want to type it, so I type "Cscript slmgr.vbs -ipk ProductKey" in cmd.

But I have an error "Error: 0xC004f015 Run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC004f015' to display the error text".

Ok, I run Vista (there isn't slui.exe in Core, or I can't find it) and see, that this error is about system licenses. Then in Core Server I checked my license typing: "Cscript slmgr.vbs -dli" and I get that I have "Initial grace period" in License status.

What can I do to add product key and activate system?

Friday, September 15, 2006 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you installed without a key, is this a VL version? If so, that changes this as you need a server on your network to activate against.

From what I have found out so far, 0xC004F050 is an invalid product key error. This is a different error then what you were getting in your first post, are you trying a different key?

The -ato command must be using the too many activations/different hardware error for no product key. I'll file a bug on that.

The activation team is making some changes for the next beta release.

Thanks,

Andrew

Monday, September 25, 2006 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that you are now activated, sorry it took so long. I'm not sure why none of the product keys on the connect site for Longhorn RC1 worked, this is the first time I've heard that. I'll pass this along and get the licensing team to look into this.

Andrew

Monday, October 9, 2006 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Just to confirm, you are using a Longhorn Server product key, correct? A Vista key will not work and can give you that error.

Have you also run slmgr.vbs with the -ato and then if you run -dli does it show any of them activated?

Thanks,

Andrew

• Proposed as answer by NARESHK BANKER Monday, January 9, 2012 2:44 PM
    Friday, September 15, 2006 8:25 PM
  • Hi,

I check a few keys.

Firstly I type a Vista key and I have this error. But I check a Longhorn (b.5270) key and I have an error 0xC004f050. I see that if I type a bad key I have the same error, so this key is wrong.

When I type a key from Vista I have different error, so I think that key is OK, but something else is not working.

When I type slmgr.vbs with the -ato I get 0xC004C008 error.

Any suggestions?

• Proposed as answer by NARESHK BANKER Monday, January 9, 2012 2:46 PM
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 5:52 PM
  • Hi,

I'm pretty sure that error code is the too many activations/different hardware activation error. Do you have another Server key that you can try?

Thanks,

Andrew

• Proposed as answer by NARESHK BANKER Monday, January 9, 2012 2:46 PM
    Monday, September 18, 2006 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

I requested a 2 next keys from the connect site. First for 5270 and second for 5112.

I run new instalation and type in setup 4 keys:

• 2 different keys for LH b.5270
    • a key for LH b. 5112
    • a key for Vista 5342

For all this keys I had an error with validating.

I checked a 32bit and 64 version.

Where I can find a running key for LH RC1?

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

Any LH Server beta 2 or above key should work fine with Server Core. A 5112 or Vista key will not work.

What error did you receive? The script has a bug where it trys to activate for all product types (retail, oem, etc) so you will get 6 errors and one success. If you run slmgr -dli it should show one of them as being activated. My blog posting at http://blogs.technet.com/server_core/archive/2006/07/10/441039.aspx has more details on how to verify.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:01 PM
  • Hi,

So, to clarity situation.

I installed Longhorn Core without typing product Key.

After installation I want to activate it, so I must firstly insert a valid product key, and activate after that.

When I run a slmgr -dli I have only one license (retail), but there is "Initial grace period" in License status. (Partial product key is QPTFC)

When I type a product key using slmgr -ipk with a LH key I am getting 0xC004F050 error. When I run slmgr -ato I have 0xC004C008 error. How can I activate system when I didn't insert product key? ;) I don’t have a product key inserted into system.

I tried uninstall product key. And I can do this :) I am getting: Uninstalled product key successfully. And after that I don't have any license. When I run slmgr -ato the error is "product not found". When I run slmgr - ipk with product key the error is 0xC004F050. When I run slmgr -dli the error is "not found". The same error is when I run slmgr -dlv. When I run slmgr -upk the error is "product key not found".  

I reinstalled system license (-rilc), but I still don't have a license. Why?

Is there any sense? Uff.

Will by there more user friendly error description in a final release? :) 

Saturday, September 23, 2006 6:35 PM
  • Hi,

So, to clarity situation.

I installed Longhorn Core without typing product Key.

After installation I want to activate it, so I must firstly insert a valid product key, and activate after that.

When I run a slmgr -dli I have only one license (retail), but there is "Initial grace period" in License status. (Partial product key is QPTFC)

When I type a product key using slmgr -ipk with a LH key I am getting 0xC004F050 error. When I run slmgr -ato I have 0xC004C008 error. How can I activate system when I didn't insert product key? ;) I don’t have a product key inserted into system.

I tried uninstall product key. And I can do this :) I am getting: Uninstalled product key successfully. And after that I don't have any license. When I run slmgr -ato the error is "product not found". When I run slmgr - ipk with product key the error is 0xC004F050. When I run slmgr -dli the error is "not found". The same error is when I run slmgr -dlv. When I run slmgr -upk the error is "product key not found".  

I reinstalled system license (-rilc), but I still don't have a license. Why?

Is there any sense? Uff.

Will by there more user friendly error description in a final release? :)

Saturday, September 23, 2006 6:36 PM
  • Hi,

If you installed without a key, is this a VL version? If so, that changes this as you need a server on your network to activate against.

From what I have found out so far, 0xC004F050 is an invalid product key error. This is a different error then what you were getting in your first post, are you trying a different key?

The -ato command must be using the too many activations/different hardware error for no product key. I'll file a bug on that.

The activation team is making some changes for the next beta release.

Thanks,

Andrew

Monday, September 25, 2006 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

I heve copleted activation.

None of the Product Key in connect site in Vista and Longhorn beta program work with Longhorn RC1.

I get a different key to beta 2 using TE06-KVM4-3RM9 invitation id in connect site. I get a new key that works on Longhorn Server RC1.

Why none of the key in Vista & Longhorn beta program work in Longhorn?

Sincerely,

Longhorn tester

• Proposed as answer by NARESHK BANKER Monday, January 9, 2012 2:54 PM
    Saturday, October 7, 2006 6:40 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that you are now activated, sorry it took so long. I'm not sure why none of the product keys on the connect site for Longhorn RC1 worked, this is the first time I've heard that. I'll pass this along and get the licensing team to look into this.

Andrew

Monday, October 9, 2006 8:00 PM
  • Hello,

I tring to setup KMS and I'm getting the following error when i run slmgr.vbs -ato.

Run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC004C008' to display the error text.
    Error: 0xC004C008

This is a partical view when I run vlmgr.vbs -dlv.

Software licensing service version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Name: Windows(TM) Vista, Business edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Vista, VOLUME_KMS channel

License Status: Initial grace period

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

hansondan

Monday, February 12, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

I'm trying to change the License Key on my Server 2008 install, however, I think my copy has expired since Printers and Control Panel are non responsive now.  I have our EA License key to use but I don't have a way to update the key.  I have been trying to use the slmgr.vbs script but a "Windows Script Host" window pops up and says "Unrecognized option" when i pass the commands.  (command example: slmgr.vbs -dli)

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks in advance,

Jamey Hines
    Jamey Hines
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:21 PM