none
Automatic Partitioning MBR or GPT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Scenario: deploying different laptop models. Older and newer models. Some have good old BIOS, others UEFI, thus GPT partitioning is necessary.

Of course I could simply create two different Task Sequences, where one is partitioning with the BIOS style and the other one with the UEFI style.

However, wouldn't it be cool, if the system automatically selects the setting which the laptop actually is running with?

By coincidence i imported an old Task Sequence from MDT 2012, which only had one partitioning sequence. Funny thing is, it works with this old task sequence. Means i have a reference image in Hyper-V Generation 1, had it captured and i can deploy it with this old Task Sequence on both BIOS and UEFI. It actually partitions the hdd for what is needed.

Unfortunately in the new Task Sequences you only can select between BIOS and UEFI. And if i select BIOS it won't work with UEFI (which makes sense of course).

It would be great, if theres something like an "automatically detect", so I don't have to use two Task Sequences.

Greetings!

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:15 PM

Answers

• It does work that way.

Under Preinstall and then New Computer you should see:

You'll see that it uses the variable IsUEFI to determine if it's going to partition it MBR or GPT style.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by MdtGyver Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:11 PM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:35 PM

All replies

• It does work that way.

Under Preinstall and then New Computer you should see:

You'll see that it uses the variable IsUEFI to determine if it's going to partition it MBR or GPT style.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by MdtGyver Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:11 PM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:35 PM
  • that was indeed true. fantastic! since i am working with mdt for about 4 years now, I've never needed this little box, so i never knew it was used. :-)
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:11 PM