none
HOTFIX JUNE 2013, Update has caused major issues with copying and pasting tasks with links RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I have a quick question regarding MS Project 2010. Recently I have been having issues when copying and pasting tasks. It used to be that when I copied a group of tasks only the links within the group of tasks which ware copied remain but now when I copy a group of tasks it retains both links between the copied tasks and also all other pre-existing links through-out the program. This is extremely counter-productive and time consuming to delete these links. I was told by a colleague that it is because of a recent mandatory update by Microsoft details of which can be found at this link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2817385 . I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and if someone knows a solution to this problem i.e. how to revert back to original or un-install this update?

Appreciate any help with this issue,

Best Regards,

Cathal

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:41 AM

All replies

• Cathalm8,

When I first read your post I thought it was deja vu since an almost identical post appeared in the customization forum back in January 2015 (ref: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/40d870db-246e-4271-8e43-a374a5ce646a/copypasting-a-group-of-tasks-within-a-project?forum=project2010custprog).

In my opinion, the June 2013 cumulative update fixed an issue that has existed for some time. I believe the correct operation is to retain all links during a copy and paste operation. Why? Task links in a project are set up to model a valid network logic relationship. Moving tasks within a project should not invalidate those links.

Again in my opinion, tasks should not be copied and pasted. It's a poor way to replicate similar tasks. All tasks within a given project should be totally unique; there should no duplicates. Since editing is required anyway for copied and pasted tasks to maintain the task uniqueness, the "time saved" with copy and paste becomes questionable.

I know this isn't the response you wanted. If this is a hard point for you, you can do a couple of things. First, un-install the June 2013 cumulative update. The big downside is that cumulative update fixes a lot of important issues and you will not be able to take advantage of any further updates beyond SP2 since cumulative updates are as stated, cumulative. Second, you could modify the code I wrote in the above reference to remove the undesired links after your copy and paste.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:56 PM
  • John,

Thanks for your response. It is quite helpful as you are the first person I have found to understand what has happened.  

I disagree with your logic but our individual opinions are more than likely based on what we use ms project for. I use it to program medium-large construction projects for example multi-storey residential apartment buildings. In projects like this you might have 20 floor levels all of which are identical and all of which have exactly the same tasks with many many resource links flowing through from each level to the same task on the level above/below. Copying and pasting is by far the best way to program and creating new tasks is completely impractical. All of the tasks are unique to their location in the building only but everything else about them including the resources, durations and logic are the same. Editing is not usually required. If editing is required for example if an area was larger and you needed to allow more time to carry out a task it is much easier to edit the duration of the the copied tasks than to search through multiple links and delete the unwanted ones. Having all of the external links copied only ends up completely distorting the logic if not found and deleted. 

This is a hard point for me as it is completely counter-productive because at the very least Microsoft or whoever implemented this ‘fix’ should have provided an option where you can choose to have it this way or the original way instead of just having it be one way or the other. This option to choose is available in other programming software such as Primavera and Asta Powerproject.

You mentioned that I can un-install the June 2013 cumulative update and that is what I would like to do and I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me how to do this or point me in the right direction?

Again I appreciate your response and help,

Best Regards,

Cathal

• Edited by Cathalm8 Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:03 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:56 AM
  • Cathal,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. And yes, I did think you were probably doing some type of repetitive operation plan.

It's probably too late at this point but next time you might consider a different approach. Fist create a template file with tasking for all the floors, without links. You can use copy and paste to set this up. Then add the appropriate links. It isn't a perfect solution but it could save you some frustration.

As far as removing the June 2013 cumulative update, I don't recommend it since you will not get the benefit of any bug fixes, and there are many, that have been addressed since SP2. I suggest you left the update installed and use VBA if you want to automate removal of links you don't want.

Nonetheless, if you want to remove the update, go to the Windows Control Panel. Select Programs/Uninstall a program. Then select View Installed Updates. Find Project Pro 2010 and look for the update for KB2817385. If you can't find that update, it probably means a more recent cumulative update was installed. In that case, look for a Project update after SP2. Note, there may be several Office updates appearing under the Project update list, so look for specific Project updates after SP2. If you can't find it or are dubious about attempting to uninstall a particular update, you might just want to uninstall Project entirely and the re-update to SP2 and stop.

John

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:12 PM