LCD display resolution switching RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Business SP1 v.688 installed on a Toshiba Dynabook SS SX/17A laptop with an Intel U1400 1.2GHz and 1GB RAM. The LCD panel is 1200x800.

When I enter my password at the login screen, my LCD panel fades to black before my desktop appears suddenly. A few seconds later the screen goes black again briefly before my desktop appears again. Sometimes, desktop at this point is displayed at 1024x794 for a few seconds before reverting to 1200x800 after a third black pause. Typing something or moving the cursor will ensure the display goes to 1024x768 but it will switch sometimes regardless. This sequence happens on boot or resume from sleep.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Every time the display resolution changes, all my windows are resized..

Sunday, January 6, 2008 9:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Does this problem occur when using Windows XP? Does this problem often occur since installing Windows Vista? Based on my research, please check the following link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2301

To ensure you have installed the latest display drive. If this is not the case, you can provide the type of your laptop and display card with detailed information for further research.

Hope this helps.

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this problem occur befer installing Windows Vista SP1? Does it occur before? If not, please try to reinstall display drive to see if it works.

If this problem has not occured before, please check if it is caused by hardware damage. You can call LCD manufacture to see if it works fine.

Hope it helps
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:53 AM
  • Hi, yes this happened before SP1 but only when an external monitor (a plasma or projector) was connected.

I reinstalled the Display Adapter “Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family” with the v7.14.10.1114, which came with the machine, but the problem persists.

Any other ideas? Is there someway setting the display mode to 1280x800 and preventing VISTA from dynamiclaly switching modes when you connect a monior (or login?) Its not hard to change resolution manually when you have an external monitor but it is a pain having to change the setting now and again on login.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

Gernally, Window Vista does not swith dynamically. From the type of the display, I find the following:

http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/ProductDetails.aspx?m=v&g=d&cid=&sv=Mobile%20Intel%28R%29%20945GM%20Express%20Chipset%20Family&f=&pn=Mobile%20Intel%28R%29%20945GM%20Express%20Chipset%20Family&oid=40

It seems it is not compatible with Windows Vista. We recommend to contact manufacturer and confirm whether updated driver for Windows Vista is in the works.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:28 AM
  • Thats interesting! The chip is listed as XP, however the laptop carries the VISTA logo and was certified as follows:

1228653 - Logo Completion Date - 01/16/2007

1228657 - Logo Completion Date - 01/16/2007

Intel lists the driver as VISTA compatible as well.. interesting!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

Does this problem occur when using Windows XP? Does this problem often occur since installing Windows Vista? Based on my research, please check the following link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2301

To ensure you have installed the latest display drive. If this is not the case, you can provide the type of your laptop and display card with detailed information for further research.

Hope this helps.

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:14 AM
  • Hi, no this problem does not occur in XP. We have 3 identical laptops but the other two were restored to XP Pro SP2 as they are used for business.

Thanks for the link. I tried installing the latest Intel video driver before posting to this forum but the installer stops with “please consult your OEM provider” However, Toshiba does not have a more recent version and when I try to update the driver via the internet in device manager, VISTA reports that v7.14.10.1114 is the most recent.

So, I went manual: I uninstalled the driver via driver manager and its tray application via program manager. The LCD reset to XVGA and I then ran the MS OneCare registry cleanup and removed about 100 entries. I was then able to install the latest INTEL v.15.7 pack with driver v.7.14.10.1364. On reboot, I could login without the screen changing resolution but sometimes the last row of icons on the desktop, the one nearest the start button, is missing and only appears by moving the cursor over this area or hitting F5. Well, hitting F5 is better than resizing all my open windows..

Please pass a note to the Microsoft admin guys that the Windows database is out of date, that a higher signed level of the VISTA driver is available from INTEL.

Thanks for your help!

Saturday, January 12, 2008 9:27 AM