none
Concurrent Logon Events RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've pulled logs from a user's computer as part of an investigation and I'm seeing multiple logon events every time the user logs in it seems. These events occur concurrently down to the second and I'm not really sure why that is happening. I know this user has one mapped drive and the user seems to be part of the domain. I don't think these events are part of something sinister, but it seems odd to me and I dislike that I can't easily explain it.

Log #1 ID 4648

A logon was attempted using explicit credentials.
    Subject:
        Security ID:        S-1-5-18
        Account Name:        ComputerName$
        Account Domain:        DomainName
        Logon ID:        0x3e7
        Logon GUID:        {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    Account Whose Credentials Were Used:
        Account Name:        UserName
        Account Domain:        ComputerName
    Target Server:
        Target Server Name:    localhost
        Additional Information:    localhost
    Process Information:
        Process ID:        0x294
        Process Name:        C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
    Network Information:
        Network Address:    127.0.0.1
        Port:            0
    This event is generated when a process attempts to log on an account by explicitly specifying that account’s credentials.  This most commonly occurs in batch-type configurations such as scheduled tasks, or when using the RUNAS command.

Log #2 ID 4624

An account was successfully logged on.
    Subject:
    Logon Type:            2
    New Logon:
        Security ID:        S-1-5-21-699594537-3167446581-2135462258-1001
        Account Name:        UserName
        Logon ID:        0x229341d
    Process Information:
    Network Information:
        Workstation Name:    ComputerName
        Source Network Address:    127.0.0.1
        Source Port:        0
    Detailed Authentication Information:
        Logon Process:        User32
        Authentication Package:    Negotiate
        Transited Services:    -
        Package Name (NTLM only):    -
        Key Length:        0
    This event is generated when a logon session is created. It is generated on the computer that was accessed.
    The subject fields indicate the account on the local system which requested the logon. This is most commonly a service such as the Server service, or a local process such as Winlogon.exe or Services.exe.
    The logon type field indicates the kind of logon that occurred. The most common types are 2 (interactive) and 3 (network).
    The New Logon fields indicate the account for whom the new logon was created, i.e. the account that was logged on.
    The network fields indicate where a remote logon request originated. Workstation name is not always available and may be left blank in some cases.
    The authentication information fields provide detailed information about this specific logon request.
        - Logon GUID is a unique identifier that can be used to correlate this event with a KDC event.
        - Transited services indicate which intermediate services have participated in this logon request.
        - Package name indicates which sub-protocol was used among the NTLM protocols.
        - Key length indicates the length of the generated session key. This will be 0 if no session key was requested.

Log #3 ID 4624

An account was successfully logged on.
    Subject:
    Logon Type:            2
    New Logon:
        Security ID:        S-1-5-21-699594537-3167446581-2135462258-1001
        Account Name:        UserName
        Logon ID:        0x2293446
    Process Information:
    Network Information:
        Workstation Name:    ComputerName
        Source Network Address:    127.0.0.1
        Source Port:        0
    Detailed Authentication Information:
        Logon Process:        User32
        Authentication Package:    Negotiate
        Transited Services:    -
        Package Name (NTLM only):    -
        Key Length:        0
    This event is generated when a logon session is created. It is generated on the computer that was accessed.
    The subject fields indicate the account on the local system which requested the logon. This is most commonly a service such as the Server service, or a local process such as Winlogon.exe or Services.exe.
    The logon type field indicates the kind of logon that occurred. The most common types are 2 (interactive) and 3 (network).
    The New Logon fields indicate the account for whom the new logon was created, i.e. the account that was logged on.
    The network fields indicate where a remote logon request originated. Workstation name is not always available and may be left blank in some cases.
    The authentication information fields provide detailed information about this specific logon request.
        - Logon GUID is a unique identifier that can be used to correlate this event with a KDC event.
        - Transited services indicate which intermediate services have participated in this logon request.
        - Package name indicates which sub-protocol was used among the NTLM protocols.
        - Key length indicates the length of the generated session key. This will be 0 if no session key was requested.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This article may give you some ideas, please refer to the link:

How to Configure and Analyze Event Logs in Windows 10?

https://www.tactig.com/configure-analyze-event-logs-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 4:03 AM
  • Unfortunately, I'm a third party and do not have access to that information. I am leaning away from a brute force logon attempt just due to the fact that these events are happening at precisely the same second. I did some further digging and it seems that this happens every time the user logs on and that there is a special logon event that I filtered out with a logon ID that matches one of the event 4624 logon IDs. It seems that this user had admin rights and that was throwing the double logons.
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:48 PM