Connecting to TS Windows XP SP3 via the command-line and passing authentication credentials. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I'm struggling to understand why the following scenario is not working for me. Basically I'm wanting to establish a TS connection from a Windows 2008 Server to a Windows XP SP3 workstation via RDP where I am able to pass the authentication credentials on the command-line in order to remove the authentication logon prompt once the sessions has been established.

However regardless of how I attempt to achieve this whether through the MSTSC client or via other means including CMDKey(mstscup.cmd) all credentials are passed, seemingly minus the password (the session opens with the these fields auto-populated within the logon dialog box excluding the password field).  I'm absolutely certain there is a group policy or flag set on the remote system(Windows XP) which is forcing the password prompt from the connecting client. I have disabled the only local setting I can think of which would force you to re-authenticate "Always prompt client for password upon connection".

I have tried connecting to the Windows XP WS from Win7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP SP3 with the same results.

Apologies of wording is a little muddled, appreciate any help that can be given.

Kind regards.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:54 PM

Answers

• Which link?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:00 AM

All replies

• Perhaps this help link will better describe what I'm trying to do :)

Unable to add link but it is KB article on technet site: kb/281262

In effect, even after running through the above steps in atricle I am still prompted for a password when connecting remotely.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:14 AM
  • Which link?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:00 AM