locked
Primary site recovery on other server RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi, i'm testing a disaster recovery scenario in which a primary site server fails. I'm using a remote site db.

    After the primary site server goes offline on another server i'm renaming the computeraccount (re-join to domain) to match the original primary site server name. After that i assign the newly created computer account appropiate permissions (local admin on site systems, SQL logins, etc). After that i start the site recovery wizard from the installation source and start a site recovery using a recent SCCM Site backup.

    I'm able the complete the restoration of the site however when i start the console i states that i can't connect to the database. In the comp log i can see that the connection string still uses the old computername (of the standby server) that does not match the primary site server name what causes an access denied.

    I probably missed some configuration. Anyone?


    • Edited by Dutch guy Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:21 AM

All replies

  • It sounds like you have already installed SCCM 2012 when you rename the server and re-join to the domain. It is not supported to change the name of an SCCM server.

    You should install SCCM after you rename and re-join to the domain.



    Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson



    • Edited by Gerry HampsonMVP Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:40 PM Edited blog address
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:38 AM
  • no not the case, i'm rejoining a "clean" installed server
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:12 AM
  • What have you done exactly? What was already installed when the server was renamend? What was installed after it was renamed?

    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:48 AM
  • Before i rejoined the server i did run the prereq checker to make sure all prereqs were in place (wsus console, remote diff comp, etc) and to lower the time to fix. For this i did start the install wizard but never finished the installation of course. Maybe this already did some preconfiguration or something.


    • Edited by Dutch guy Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:01 PM
  • I would recommend carrying out the rename and domain rejoin before you run ANY SCCM wizard. Please test this to see if you have better success.


    Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson



    • Edited by Gerry HampsonMVP Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:41 PM Edited blog address
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:10 PM
  • It is suggested to reinstall the SQL server as well, or try reconfigure SQL server to use the new server name.

    Execute the below in sql mgmt studio query for each instance on the machine.
    for a Default Instance
    sp_dropserver 'old servername'
    sp_addserver  'new server name', local

    for a Named Instance
    sp_dropserver <'old_server_name\instancename'>
    sp_addserver <'new_name\instancename'>, local

    -Peer

    Friday, September 27, 2013 3:00 PM
  • You may be going about it in the wrong manner.  Look at Tasks for Recovering a Site (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680456.aspx) and follow this guidance to the letter.  You should not have any problem thereafter.  In the event of a real disaster you may want to alert Microsoft CSS and get the assistance of one of their engineers to ensure you are healthy when done.


    Thanks,

    Mark

    mark.mears@cireson.com

    Check out our System Center App Store: http://www.cireson.com/app-store


    Friday, September 27, 2013 3:10 PM