Cannot delete MSSharePointAppPool from IIS for migration to Windows 2008R2 server. RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to migrate our Windows Server 2003 web site to Windows Server 2008R2 (IIS 6 to IIS 7). I was using MSDeploy to do so. I had archived the source server, then copied the archive to the destination server and tried to import the archive. When I do so, I get an error:

Error: The AppPoolNotFound dependency check found the AppPool 'MSSharePointAppPool' to be in use by the source data but not defined in source data or on the destination computer.  Applications referencing this application pool will have configuration issues.
    Error: The synchronization was stopped by the 'DependencyCheckFailOnError' rule
    because one or more dependency checks were triggered at the 'Error' level.
    Error count: 1

Upon examining the source server, I find that there is an application pool "MSSharePointAppPool". I examined the "Add & Remove Programs/Windows Components" and it does not indicate Windows SharePoint services as having been installed - we have never used it previously.

I then attempted to delete the App Pool using the IIS Manager. This results in the following popup message:

IIS Manager - You cannot delete an application pool that contains applications. You need to reassign all applications in this application pool or delete the applications.

The only "application" listed in the application pool is 'Default Application', and there are no options on right-clicking it for deletion or reassignment. There are no properties listed in the right pane of the IIS mananger, either.

I need to remove that application pool, create a new archive, then reattempt the import to the new server. But I cannot do so until I remove the application and application pool. Where do I go from here?

David W. Mitchell Systems & Network Manager Pace International, LLC
    Monday, February 7, 2011 4:43 PM

Answers

• Okay, download the IIS6 ResKit and then use the metabase explorer application to remove the Application Pool.
    David W. Mitchell Systems & Network Manager Pace International, LLC
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:34 PM