Error installing Exchange Service Pack 2 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

After actioning all the required prerequisites I encountered the below issue,

[ERROR] Setup previously failed while performing the action "Uninstall".  You can't resume setup by performing the action "BuildToBuildUpgrade"

There are a number of websites stating different reasons on why this can happen but I’m yet to find a direct response or help from any Microsoft KB.

If anyone can please provide me with a resolution or a path going forward that would me great.

System Setup;

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Exchange Server 2010 SP1 Rollup 5

Thanks

Friday, October 5, 2012 5:33 AM

Answers

• Adam,

Are we performing Upgrade or is it a fresh new Installation of E2K10 SP2?

Setup previously failed while performing the action "Uninstall" - This error would be thrown when setup detected a previous change operation which wasn't successful.

It seems like there was something like a "Uninstall" task performed.

I would suggest you to run the EXBPA which would help us get the details regarding the Role which is partially configured. We can manually do this by opening Registry Editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange Server:

Highlight on Each of the key's Hub Transport/Client Access/Mailbox/Admin Tools to see where we have the water mark key.

Also Paste the values we have for Unpacked Version/Configured Version & Action.

Also check to see the ExchangeSetup.log which will be available on the C:\ExchangeSetuplogs folder.

BTW, if the server is functioning properly make a backup of the key(which contains the watermark), delete the Action Key and Watermark Key and resume the installation. But, This is quite risky and should only be done as a Last Resource.

Exchangeexperts.in ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~Mark this if Helpful My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Proposed as answer by PK M Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by The Decrypter Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by The Decrypter Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:55 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 9:37 AM

All replies

• Adam,

Are we performing Upgrade or is it a fresh new Installation of E2K10 SP2?

Setup previously failed while performing the action "Uninstall" - This error would be thrown when setup detected a previous change operation which wasn't successful.

It seems like there was something like a "Uninstall" task performed.

I would suggest you to run the EXBPA which would help us get the details regarding the Role which is partially configured. We can manually do this by opening Registry Editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange Server:

Highlight on Each of the key's Hub Transport/Client Access/Mailbox/Admin Tools to see where we have the water mark key.

Also Paste the values we have for Unpacked Version/Configured Version & Action.

Also check to see the ExchangeSetup.log which will be available on the C:\ExchangeSetuplogs folder.

BTW, if the server is functioning properly make a backup of the key(which contains the watermark), delete the Action Key and Watermark Key and resume the installation. But, This is quite risky and should only be done as a Last Resource.

Exchangeexperts.in ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~Mark this if Helpful My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Proposed as answer by PK M Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by The Decrypter Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by The Decrypter Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:55 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Hi Adam,

Any updates?

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 8, 2012 3:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I've removed the two reg keys and now i'm able to install Exchange Service Pack 2.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:56 AM
  • Thanks!
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\PreFileCopy]
    Exported Key, then Removed: "Action" & "Watermark"
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:41 PM