none
What causes 1-WebServices-2 folder to be created, can it be related to GAL issue? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 FE Skype for Business on premise servers 2019.

When a user is in the original pool created they have no issue searching for contacts.

When users are in the pool created for the new server I'm trying to migrate them to they can no longer search for contacts successfully (it does return local Outlook contacts, but not GAL contacts.) It did working initially.

In trying to find the different between the two pools I noticed that the File Share has a second set of folders for WebServices, UserServices and ApplicationServices all ending in -2.

I'm not sure how or why these folders were created, and if they might have something to do with my Address Book issue.

Can anyone explain what triggers the creation of these folders?

Thanks

Monday, November 25, 2019 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi RMorrissey64,

In my understanding, the file has no impact on the AddressBook. In my lab, I have a frontend pool with 3 frontend servers. So, the file name is ending with -3.

Can these users sign in Skype for Business client?

Make sure that you have enabled the users in the new pool.

After you enable the users in the new pool, it will take some time to sync the contacts.

The AddressBook Workflow is as below. You can execute the commands “Update-CsUserDatabase” and “Update-CsAddressBook” to reduce the time.

In addition, please follow the steps as below to troubleshooting the AddressBook:

1.Check the value of AddressBookAvailability, the default value is WebSearchAndFileDownload:

Execute command “Get-CsClientPolicy”

2.Test whether the user can access and download the AddressBook:

Execute command “Test-CsAddressBookService -TargetFqdn lyncpool.sip.domain -UserSipAddress user01@sip.domain

3.Test the ability of web query:

Execute command “Test-CsAddressBookWebQuery -TargetFqdn lyncpool. sip.domain -UserSipAddress user01@sip.domain

The successful result is as below:

4.Check the log file as the following steps:

For more details about AddressBook, please refer to:

http://blog.schertz.name/2010/09/updating-the-lync-2010-address-book/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Thanks Sharon,

Users can log into Skype just fine, and if I move a user from the not working pool back to the original pool, they can search contacts again.

Users in the non-working pool had been working fine for a few weeks.

The reason I was suspecting the -2 folders in the file store was that -2 folders were created weeks after the pool had been created and I think around the time we starting seeing the issue.

I'll try some of the things you suggest.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 1:12 PM
  • Hi RMorrissey64,

Do you have any update after you try the suggestions above?

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 29, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Hi Sharon,

When I run Test-CsAddressBookWebQuery -TargetFQDN  on the good server I get success.  When I run it on the bad server I get:

Target Fqdn   : xxx1.corp.gsmr.org
    Target Uri    : https://xxxx/abs/handler
    Result        : Failure
    Latency       : 00:00:00
    Error Message : No response received for Web-Ticket service.
                    Inner Exception:An error occurred while receiving the HTTP response to
                    https://sfb01.corp.gsmr.org/WebTicket/WebTicketService.svc/MachineCert. This could be due to the
                    service endpoint binding not using the HTTP protocol. This could also be due to an HTTP request
                    context being aborted by the server (possibly due to the service shutting down). See server logs for
                    more details.
                    Inner Exception:The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
                    Inner Exception:The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common
                    algorithm

When I look at the IIS Logs it has gigabyte of this 

2019-11-26 16:55:58 x.x.x.x POST /groupexpansion/service.svc/WebTicket_Bearer - 443 - x.x.x.x OC/16.0.4900.1000+(Skype+for+Business) - 500 0 0 169

The Deployment tool tells me the certificates a good on the server.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 7:47 PM
  • Hi RMorrissey64,

There are some reasons why Test-CsAddressBookWebQuery might fail:

1.You specified an invalid user account.

2.The user account is valid, but the account is not currently enabled for Lync Server.

3.The target user might not be in the Address Book.

4.The Address Book might not have fully updated and replicated.

For more details, please refer to “Reasons Why the Test Might Have Failed” in the following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lyncserver/lync-server-2013-validating-address-book-web-query

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Monday, December 9, 2019 9:44 AM
  • Hi RMorrissey64,

Is there any update on this case?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 4:47 AM
  • Here I will provide a brief and temporary summary of this post.

<Issue Symptom>:

User environment: Skype for Business server 2019

When a user is in the original pool, they have no issue searching for contacts.

When users are in the pool created for the new server, I'm trying to migrate them to they can no longer search for contacts successfully (it does return local Outlook contacts, but not GAL contacts.) It did work initially.

<(Possible) Cause>:

It seems related to the ability of Address Book Web Query.

<Troubleshooting Steps so far>:

1.Execute the commands “Update-CsUserDatabase” and “Update-CsAddressBook”.

2.Check the value of AddressBookAvailability, the default value is WebSearchAndFileDownload:

Execute command “Get-CsClientPolicy”

3.Test whether the user can access and download the AddressBook:

Execute command “Test-CsAddressBookService -TargetFqdn lyncpool.sip.domain -UserSipAddress user01@sip.domain”

4.Test the ability of web query:

Execute command “Test-CsAddressBookWebQuery -TargetFqdn lyncpool. sip.domain -UserSipAddress user01@sip.domain”

<Next Step>:

Check the Lync server event log.

<Reference Links>:

https://myhybridsetup.org/skype-for-business-2015-address-book-web-query-failure-due-to-high-memory-utilization-on-fe-server/

http://blog.schertz.name/2010/09/updating-the-lync-2010-address-book/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lyncserver/lync-server-2013-validating-address-book-web-query

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Thursday, December 26, 2019 8:33 AM