Laptop Battery - Controlling the Re-Charge Threshold RRS feed

• Question

• IBM Thinkpads offer a cool tool in their proprietary "Battery Maximizer" software under "Battery Maintenance" that allows you to set the charge level at which a re-charge is triggered.  This is supposed to maximize battery lifetime by reducing unnecessary re-charge cycles on a computer that remains plugged in most of the time.

But I don't have this Thinkpad software.  Now that I've found some related and equally cool tools that are native to XP SP3 itself (e.g., PowerCfg to manually set the processor throttle for lower power consumption, and Wembtest to determine both the maximum AND the CURRENT processor clock rates), I'm wondering:

Does XP offer any such control over the recharge cycle as that described above?

Sunday, December 18, 2011 6:27 PM

Answers

• According to what I know, laptop battery charge management is implemented by means of proprietary system and can be configured only by using software utilities provided by the laptop manufacturer's.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Monday, December 19, 2011 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:50 AM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 7:15 PM

All replies

• According to what I know, laptop battery charge management is implemented by means of proprietary system and can be configured only by using software utilities provided by the laptop manufacturer's.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Monday, December 19, 2011 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:50 AM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Thanks.  I was afraid of that.

I've noticed that "replacement" batteries from second sources will charge in and power my old IBM ThinkPad just fine.  Nevertheless, their state of charge is often incorrectly interpretted by the computer, leading to unpredictable behavior.  (This was true both before and after I did a 'bare-metal' operating-system update from the OEM W2K software to a full version of XP SP3 (with no ThinkPad software whatsoever).  The IBM batteries must have some proprietary "intelligence" embedded in them that isn't duplicated in the "replacements."  I'm guessing that this battery firmware is supposed to talk directly to the BIOS, so that signals are corssed even though the physical connections are probably identical.

Unfortunately, factory batteries are no longer available for this machine.  I don't suppose there's anything to be done about this issue either...

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:53 PM