SharePoint 2007 Site Usage Reporting Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Current SharePoint Environment:

-Windows 2008 Enterprise with SP2 (Virtual Machine)

-SharePoint 2007 Enterprise with SP2 installed by a SharePoint contractor

-All SharePoint services are currently running on the one SharePoint server (not a part of a SharePoint FARM)

-All databases are currently running on a seperate SQL 2005 server backend on a Windows 2008 R2 physical server in part of a SQL cluster

Current Problem:

Site usage reporting has been setup as per microsoft best practice by the SharePoint contractor (i checked it against a few knowledge base articles) and the reporting is working. However, the results are incomplete. I have over 400 users accessing the SharePoint site (Intranet) with at least half of them accessing it daily, however when I check the site usage reports or site collection usage reports under Home > Site Settings > Site (or collection) Usage Summary > Site Users - I don't get a complete list of users accessing the sites.

I have some members of my team that i know are accessing the site but they are not showing up in the results, however I have random users that are showing up perfectly including myself. At this stage i'd say the users showing up in the list are randomly spread throughout the organisation. Around 24 users are showing up in the list. When i check the other reports they also show information but it appears to be incomplete (not a full representation of site usage)

In summary I really need to be able to get accurate reporting on site usage for my organisation and can't use these inaccurate results.

Monday, February 13, 2012 12:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Just for a sanity check the IISLogs they will give you a better view of the world and are used everywhere on the internet. Checkout webLog Expert there is a free trial and then its only $99 for tehstandard version and there is a lit version thaths free, regardless you get a 30 day trial... WebLog Expert works with logs of Apache and IIS web servers.

At least you will know whats up http://www.weblogexpert.com

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.

Monday, February 13, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Please check this link

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/c5407b9e-f066-4f44-8bbf-e1f533ffe635/

Monday, February 13, 2012 6:39 AM
  •  I don't necessarily find the reporting results in 2007 that reliable either. Some of the figures quoted don't appear to mean all that much, but that might be just down to my own capacity to correlate their intended meaning! :o/

Couple of things to try are the different links available to show reporting data, add these to the end of the site name URL:

/_layouts/usageDetails.aspx
    /_layouts/spusageweb.aspx

You've got the Enterprise version of SharePoint, so both of these should work fine.

Another thing to check for is to make sure that the usage analysis processing settings within the Central Administration site has enough time to process the logging each night. I've seen instances in the past where there has not been enough time to process the logs and it hasn't been until after the second night of processing, before the statistics were visible.

As I said above, OOTB usage doesn't appear to be that great for 2007.

Regards,

Jason.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Your link states to apply Service Pack 2 to resolve the issue. I am already running service pack 2 so this doesn't apply, however this does sound like the issue I am having.
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Those links do show up but still with incomplete results. On that note I have noticed a new issue with the reporting. It appears as though it was only reporting until the end of Janurary (also it was sparatic showing reports for only 3 days spread over 2 weeks). There are no more reports showing up in the site usage summary for recent activity, however I can see that logs are still being generated on the SharePoint server.

It appears as if it worked for a few days but then stopped reporting in SharePoint?

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Did you ever find a fix to this issue?  I am having the same problems on my farm as well.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 1:42 PM