Management Pack best practice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just installed the RC and want to adopt the correct approach as far as management pack best practice is concerned.

I have two environments 'test' and 'live'.

What I want to achieve is create some E-mail notifications templates in the test environment and then once proven move them to the live.

So, when I go to create the template I select the target class of 'Incident' which then defaults the management pack to 'Service Manager Incident Management Configuration Library'.

My question is:

Is it best to save the templates to  'Service Manager Incident Management Configuration Library' MP? If I do can I then import this unsealed MP into my live environment and over write the MP in their?

Or would it be best to save to a completely new MP such as 'Custom - Incident Management Settings' and then import that into the live environment? 

This is only for notification templates; I'm sure as I go deeper there will be other areas which will produce similar scenarios. Is there any generic guidance regarding management packs for this kind of activity in SM? 

Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    As this is a new product there is not much experiance around it. If I think about Ops Mgr that share the same core platform (or a older version) I would not export and import core system management packs if the environment was not absolutly identical. There could be other things in that MP that you would break. Then there is this core rule, that two unsealed MP cant reference each other (as they dont have a secrity token from a certificate). So if you create a notification in one and a group in another and want to use them together that will not work. You could also hink about seal your MP in your test environment before you put them into production. Then you can referense them as you want.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:25 PM
    Answerer
  • My recommendation would be to store things in your own management packs.  It will make your upgrade life easier later.

Another best practice would be to factor out your management packs into multiple management packs according to some logic instead of putting all of your customizations into a single management pack.  For example, you could have management packs for 'Incident notification templates', 'Change Request notification templates', 'Incident form templates', etc.
    Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Lead Microsoft
    Friday, March 5, 2010 12:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    As this is a new product there is not much experiance around it. If I think about Ops Mgr that share the same core platform (or a older version) I would not export and import core system management packs if the environment was not absolutly identical. There could be other things in that MP that you would break. Then there is this core rule, that two unsealed MP cant reference each other (as they dont have a secrity token from a certificate). So if you create a notification in one and a group in another and want to use them together that will not work. You could also hink about seal your MP in your test environment before you put them into production. Then you can referense them as you want.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:25 PM
    Answerer
  • My recommendation would be to store things in your own management packs.  It will make your upgrade life easier later.

Another best practice would be to factor out your management packs into multiple management packs according to some logic instead of putting all of your customizations into a single management pack.  For example, you could have management packs for 'Incident notification templates', 'Change Request notification templates', 'Incident form templates', etc.
    Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Lead Microsoft
    Friday, March 5, 2010 12:47 AM